PDA

View Full Version : Plastering Question....

The Apprentice
2nd August 2006, 09:11 PM
Hi everyone,

On the weekend i had to hang a new sheet a Gyprock on the ceiling, had to butt it up against the fibrouse plaster as good as i could.

However in some places the gap may have been up to 10mm apart.

When i put the 1st base coat on to bed the paper in i tried to fill the gap as i went along rrrrrr:mad: im sure i stuffed it up there....

Anyway there are only a few bubles in the paper which are really ####ting me, but i need to fix it up ASAP....

How do i do this? Do i cut it out and bedd another peice of paper in or what?

Thanks in advance guys,

Dave.:)

rod@plasterbrok
2nd August 2006, 09:44 PM
Yep that can be a real bugger.

With paper tape if you have a bigger than 3 or 4mm gap it is best to pre-fill the gap before taping. Let it bulge out it doesn't matter, provided that, you scrape it back flush before it sets too hard.

What has happened the plaster has bulged out as it does, except the tape is covering the bulge and it can't be scraped back.

If it only has happened in a few spots, get a trimming knife and cut across the tape at each end of the bulge and remove the tape where it has bulged out. If its all along the join just pull it out and start again.

Then scrape back the bulging plaster as much as possible, along where the tape was and as wide as the tape. Use a thin scraper. Replace the tape in exactly the same position as it was before, that will stop you over filling the join.

Finish the join as normal. You may have to go a bit wider than usual because I am sure it will end up over filled anyway.

Cheers

Rod

The Apprentice
3rd August 2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks Rod,

Ill give it a go!

Kind Regards.

Ps. i notice your off fishing to Darwin area, here is a site that reports on whats biting all around Darwin area...

www.happymicks.com.au

rod@plasterbrok
3rd August 2006, 07:31 PM
hey thanks for that

Cheers