PDA

View Full Version : What to Use ?

Tyro
29th July 2006, 04:30 AM
Please help me!

I need to fill some joints/space in corners where tiled walls meet or where tiled walls and the tiled floor meet in my bathroom.

<o></o>
The areas that are to be filled are not wet areas.

<o></o>
I know I can use silicon but I hate using silicon (i.e. messy, hard to fix mistakes, and a nightmare to remove when cured).

<o></o>
With so many sealants/caulking products on the market I do not know what to use! :confused:

<o></o>
Can someone please give me some recommendations?

Honorary Bloke
29th July 2006, 06:05 AM
G'day Tyro,

You want Grout Caulk. Depending on the colour of grout and brand you used, it may be possible to get a caulk in the same colour and the difference will hardly be noticed. (You're right not to use regular grout because the underlayment under the tile might move a bit and crack it.)

I assume the spaces are minimal, not over 10mm?

A good tile store should be able to help you out.:)

Good luck.:D And welcome.

journeyman Mick
29th July 2006, 01:23 PM
Bob,
unfortunately if Tyro goes into the a store and asks for Grout Caulk they'll just give him a blank look instead.:rolleyes: (please refer to your signature line for more information.);)

Tyro,
usually this is filled with coloured silicone or polyurethane sealant. The silicone is much easier to use. If you're worried about making a mess buy yourself a couple of rolls of masking tape. Run tape along both sides of the joint you wish to fill. Fill a bowl with some water with plenty of dishwashing detergent in it. Apply silicone, trying to get a nice smooth run. Dip your finger in the detergent and smooth it off if neccesary. Wipe silicone off finger and dip in detergent again, repeat as necesary. Have a couple of sheets of newspaper on the floor to take any silicone covered rags or tissues. When done, peel the masking tape off and drop on the newspaper. Bundle up the paper and double check for any stray sealant.

Mick

Tyro
30th July 2006, 01:13 AM
Apart from silicone and polyurethane sealant is there anything else I can use?

What about this product from Davco:

http://www.davco.com.au/pdf/12020.pdf

journeyman Mick
30th July 2006, 02:00 AM
It's okay, but it's just coloured no more gaps. Silicone will give better service IMO and polyurethane will last the longest, it's what's used in commercial applications.

Mick