PDA

View Full Version : Brick Front Fence

jaypee
24th July 2006, 11:16 AM
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone can let me know the approx cost a Brickie may charge for a Brick Front Fence. You know the ones that allow you to put some timber slats on them. Just after an approx per sq m cost and any gothchas that I should be aware of.

Any other materials anyone can think of? I don't really see Blueboard being an option?

Thanks

bitingmidge
24th July 2006, 11:29 AM
any gothchas that I should be aware of.

Make sure the posts are hollow, have proper footings and reinforcing steel running the full height and tied to the footing, then fill with concrete.

Quite recently in Brisbane, an 8 year old was killed by a brick fence post falling on him, as his mate climbed the timber bit. Unless they are properly reinforced, they are quite easy to knock over.

Cheers,

P

ozwinner
24th July 2006, 05:36 PM
I get $900 per 1000 at the moment in Melbourne, plus add $50 each for the piers.
That price is for working with builders who are very organised, add more to the job if you are not organised.

Al :)

godallmighty
24th July 2006, 06:03 PM
you bricklayers must make a fortune, you would just about be able to retire

ozwinner
24th July 2006, 06:18 PM
The finger tape is what takes all our profits.
I go through rolls of it.

Al :D

Terry1
24th July 2006, 06:43 PM
G/day ozwinner,I"ve always used (cotts,spelling?)when the fingers are not travelling too good (wet winter days and such)I still make them from old truck tubes.Not many of the young fellows use them ,although my son does now and then, but I think they are the "go"once you get used to them,and I've gotten fairly well used to them over the last 37 or so years.Are you getting a quid mate?
Regards Terry

ozwinner
24th July 2006, 06:48 PM
G/day ozwinner,I"ve always used (cotts,spelling?)when the fingers are not travelling too good (wet winter days and such)I still make them from old truck tubes.Not many of the young fellows use them ,although my son does now and then, but I think they are the "go"once you get used to them,and I've gotten fairly well used to them over the last 37 or so years.Are you getting a quid mate?
Regards Terry

Well we are earning it, but actualy getting the money is another issue.

Al :rolleyes:

Terry1
24th July 2006, 06:55 PM
Hello jaypee,sorry I forgot to reply to your question.The bricklaying rate is around $800 per 1000 plus extra for the piers(in Wagga that is).So not much different from the Melbourne rates that ozwinner quoted.I think it depends how the local brickies are fixed for work and they tell me they are not going too well in your area,but having said that I don't think there would be much difference between the lowest and the highest quote on a small job like that.It would be better to get a decent tradesman rather than try to save a few bob and end up with one of the "cowboys"I suppose. Regards "Terrry

Ashore
24th July 2006, 06:58 PM
jaypee
is your area covered by the mines subsidence board , if it is you have to get their approval for a brick fence and of course pay them as you will with your local council and pay them:cool:

jaypee
24th July 2006, 07:05 PM
No we are just outside that area (luckily)

The total width of the block is about 15.5 m but with 3 m for Gate only about 12.5.

Its something I wouldn't get a cowboy to do.

How may sq m in 1000 bricks?

ozwinner
24th July 2006, 07:07 PM
How may sq m in 1000 bricks?

Al :)

jaypee
24th July 2006, 07:13 PM
Thx

just working out approx costs.

Fence would be about 13 ms at most (Driveway additional)

How many deep. I assume double?

The base would be 600 high and peirs at 900.

Sounds like 1000 or so is about right?

Now none of you know a brickie on the central coast????

bitingmidge
24th July 2006, 07:40 PM
How many deep. I assume double?

Hmmm. Don't forget the footing, the reo, the starters AND the cavity in the posts! :eek:

P

jaypee
24th July 2006, 08:17 PM
Agreed, just working out the bricks.......

:D

readnik
28th July 2006, 12:14 PM
Sounds like it is going to cost you a mint Jaypee...i was watching the ABC The new inventors and saw this product (see link below)...not sure how much it is or if it is the design you want but it might be a better price and it looks great IMO.
http://www.gardenwalls.com.au/pool_fencing.shtml

readie

jaypee
28th July 2006, 02:00 PM
Yes I had a look at it but you can't put it against the ground. Why have a Brick/rendered looking Front Fence if you can't put it against the ground (needs 100mil clearence). Otherwise yes I'd jump at it....

readnik
28th July 2006, 05:14 PM
You could always form up some concrete along the base 100mm high...could do that easy yourself or even one course of bricks could do that yourself as well. Just putting up some ideas. ;)

readnik

jaypee
28th July 2006, 05:33 PM
Agree. I am actually getting some prices on this stuff. Would love to know what I am up for.....