PDA

View Full Version : tiling

Stoo
23rd July 2006, 11:55 AM
Hi all,

Putting out a call for any tiling tricks and tips. I'm about to start tiling(walls and floor) and I am interested in any advice people have about applying tiles. I've had a look at the 'how-to' tiling brochures and web sites and they make it sound pretty simple. My expereince with renovating to date is that it is never as simple as it is made out to be.

Thanks,
Stoo

echnidna
23rd July 2006, 12:21 PM
On walls work out your spacings from the top down and from the centre of the wall out. So part tiles are low level instead of eye level.

Work out your floor tile spanings from the centre out.
That way both sides are even and both ends are even

I dislike adhesives with cement added as a filler.

Metal Head
23rd July 2006, 06:00 PM
Hi Stoo,

I am in the same boat as you - a virgin at tiling a bathroom (or anything else). Just prior to coming onto the computer I had put my battens in place as described via the link below.

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/3/frame-0tips.html

I also purchased a DVD from them which was excellent value.

Regards
David

Honorary Bloke
25th July 2006, 07:05 AM
G'day Stoo,

You're right, tiling is simple. Tiling correctly, however, is a bit more complex.

For floors, for example, the undersurface must be FLAT. Tiles like flat.
In wet areas, use a waterproof underlayment, such as hardibacker or Schluter Ditra.
Will your floor support the added weight of the tiles without flexing? If not, add a layer of ply to stiffen it up. Cement Board adds no structural strength, so that won't do as a stiffener.
Use the correct adhesive for the type of tile and underlayment. In general, pre-mixed adhesives are inferior to the dry type you mix on your own. This is especially true for floors, where traffic taxes the shear strength of the adhesive.
Give the tile adhesive plenty of time to cure before grouting. Even 24 hours is marginal. More like 48 if you can wait.That being said, yes you can do it and it will give you great satisfaction. If you have any more specific questions, please post.:)

pau1
25th July 2006, 03:20 PM
I'm in the middle of my first tile job atm, does anyone have any suggestions as to what grout sealer I should use and when it should be applied? The grout manufacturer seems to think that I should wait 2 weeks before sealing but some of the sealers seem to think I can do it the next day.

Honorary Bloke
26th July 2006, 06:56 AM
Pau1,

Don't know what brands are in OZ so no help there. But wait at least 2 weeks before sealing. You want to be sure that the grout has fully cured out. Even three weeks. In the meantime, just be careful not to pour ink on it or something.:D

OBBob
26th July 2006, 08:40 AM
Crommelin http://www.crommelin.com.au/ has some good stuff. They have a new sealer that soaks into the grout then dries ... forming a silicone like barrier. It apperas to work quite well and they claim it is good enough to seal shower leaks from the top (don't know about that).

OBBob
26th July 2006, 08:43 AM
Stoo, Make sure you have good tools to cut the tiles with. That is the bit I find takes a long time (might just be me) but it is especially true if the room is small and complex like a bathroom ... you seem to cut more tiles than lay whole ones! I found the best for me was a diamond tip angle grinder disk but it doesn't give the nicest edge finish so is best used if the edges are conceled under skirting or verticle tiles etc.

Enjoy!