PDA

View Full Version : skim coating

malachi
21st July 2006, 07:00 PM
Hi Guys. i'm doing a huge rendering/patch job(internal work) lots of walls to be rendererd, but there are also walls that don't need to be rendered,but have a lot of imperfections, builder asked if i could skim coat over these old painted walls, he said he's heard tradies do this with cornice cement.
Any comments would be appreciated.:o

P.s I seen on the net Dulux has a skim coating product ,is anyone familiar with this?, thanks,from stressed out renderer:eek:

rod@plasterbrok
21st July 2006, 08:04 PM
Hi,

over render the most common product to use is Hard Plaster. But I this plaster sets entirely different to nomal plaster and the handy man would find it very difficult to use.

Cornice cement is the next best alternative but unless you have pretty good trowling skills you would need to top coat over and sand.

If you have cracks etc to repair check out the tips on repairing lathen plaster on our web site. Patching a rendered brick wall is the same. If the imperfections aren't deep cracks etc then a skim coat of top coat could do the job. Even if you did it in 2 applications, you will find this is the easiest product to use. Also top coat bonds to the painted surface pretty well if its not too thick.

Chees Rod.

myla
23rd July 2006, 07:19 PM
hello,

make sure paint is sound

skim coat over with whats commonly called a polymer or patch render most companies who sell texture have them

keep it as thin as required

this is then ready to be coated with anything

like rod mentioned, hard plaster will be difficult if you havent used b4

what sort of finish are they after?

thankyou
myla

malachi
24th July 2006, 12:53 PM
They want a white set smooth finish, do you know if that patch render is smooth finish?