PDA

View Full Version : 6 SQ m Tiled area removal

MICKYG
10th July 2006, 09:08 PM
Any idea how much to remove 6 SQ M of tiling from a cement rendered wall. They are 150mm sq tiles and seem to be well anchored and the wall would need to be left suitable to paint.. Appreciate your input.

Regards Mike.;)

drummelars
10th July 2006, 09:23 PM
trust me mate i just gutted my laundry and its near impossible to get tiles of a wall without stuffing the villa or gyp underneath.

I just got a hammer and brokethem all off, and yeas i did make a few holes in the wall then i removed the gyp and villa and relayed new villa board.

its much easer than trying to save gyprock especially if its going to be painted you will nee to farely good finih and forget all the sandingyou will need to do if you break the tiles off the wall you will need a considerable amount of bog in my opinion.

good luck anyway

drummelars
10th July 2006, 09:27 PM
plus villa is not that expensive these days per sheeting.

i had never touched a tool before and re did this myself, its taken awhile but is more plesureable to save money nd say that you did it yourself.

http://users.tpg.com.au/jselmes/tile/k.jpg

Bodgy
10th July 2006, 10:24 PM
I was faced with exactly the same dilemma when renovating our bathroom. The tile were laid directly onto the render, over the brick. I simply bought some villaboard sheets and stuck them over the top. Finish the sheets like they are gyprock. Sounds bodgy, but I got a great result. What did I loose? About 8 mm of room space per wall.

MICKYG
11th July 2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks Drum and Bodgie, unfortunately the tiles are around the wall in a shop and would not be able to put a false wall in front. They are scattered arount the walls, three wide in places six wide in other places.

Regards Mike

Bob38S
11th July 2006, 10:41 AM
Had the same problem at son's place - unfortunately no way to get the tiles off the render without damage - so we used a rotary hammer drill [$69.00 at the local el-cheapo shop - they cost a mint to hire so I figured it was cheaper to buy a "throw away" - as it turned out the drill is still fine].
When all of the tiles were removed we then had the walls re-rendered - had never done it before so we had someone who knew what they were doing do it. It worked out well.
Bob