PDA

View Full Version : Deck Strip

SIMONLEWIS
7th July 2006, 11:56 AM
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone knows if Deck strip must be used on all decks. I am using OB hardwood for joist and bearers and live in Mildura.

Also waht is the benefit of using this strip?

Cheers in advance
Simon

scooter
8th July 2006, 12:56 AM
Simon, what is deck strip, something similar to malthoid or protecta-deck, ie. some form of protective "flashing" that you install over the bearers & joists to shed water & prevent rot?

If so, I don't believe they "must" be used, but I reckon it'd be a good idea over OB.

Cheers................Sean

SIMONLEWIS
8th July 2006, 09:04 PM
Hi Sean,

yes, Its a rubber strip that does exactely that. I went in to bunnings and they tried to sell it to me. I beleive that it may not be needed for a fully covered deck?
Does it make a difference being OB?

scooter
8th July 2006, 09:29 PM
Better advice can be had from a builder, Simon, don't want to lead you up the garden path, but FWIW I wouldn't bother using it under a fully covered deck, per my first post the idea is that it sheds water to protect joists & bearers, if the roof will keep the water off it the deck strip will be an unncecessary expense.

Re OB, my point was that I would see more need for it on OB bearers & joists than on, say, treated pine.

Good luck mate.............cheers...................Sean

julianx
9th July 2006, 02:52 AM
Hi Simon
you are right it is not needed on a fully covered deck. I generaly put a coat of oil based primer on the top edge of the joists before the deck goes down.