PDA

View Full Version : Pergola Timber

Andy78
21st June 2006, 06:24 PM
Hey, I am planning to build a suspended sunshading awning above my bifold doors. The structure will be about 1m deep by about 6m wide. I plan to put a cedar stain on the structure. Can people recommend a suitable timber? I am not too keen on treated pine.

Mike T
21st June 2006, 07:19 PM
A mate of mine used dressed Oregon which come up great. I think it was done in a cedar type colour.

mic-d
21st June 2006, 08:19 PM
You can get kiln dried H3 treated radiata that's not CCA. I wouldn't use untreated pine unless you plan on putting a roof on it to protect it.

CHeers
Michael

Pulse
21st June 2006, 10:50 PM
We had an oregon pergola outside, dry rot after 6-8 years. Easy to work by in my opinion does not have the durability for external use.
Maybe hardwood or dressed TP

Cheers
Pulse

julianx
21st June 2006, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't use oregon unless it is covered, it will last about 5 years then it will soak up water like a sponge and rot very quickly. Hardwood is the best for exposed situations.

Two-Words
21st June 2006, 11:04 PM
I am not too keen on treated pine.

get keen

Andy78
21st June 2006, 11:14 PM
My timber supplier laughed at me when I mentioned Oregon. He advised against it because it is prone to rot.

I have been quoted on Treated Pine F7 CCA H3 and F17KDHW.The KDHW was a little bit more expensive. Can anyone suggest a suitable hardwood which is of reasonable price? Another option is Cypress Pine?

Andy

Two-Words
21st June 2006, 11:15 PM
Another option is Cypress Pine?

It splits :(

Andy78
21st June 2006, 11:21 PM
A similar problem with hardwood.

Two-Words
21st June 2006, 11:22 PM
A similar problem with hardwood.

remember termites ;)

Andy78
21st June 2006, 11:24 PM
I live in a termite zone but no sign of the buggers.

Two-Words
21st June 2006, 11:29 PM
I live in a termite zone but no sign of the buggers.

they're around

scooter
23rd June 2006, 01:05 AM
If you go the F17, ensure it is Durability Class 1 to ensure it is suitable for your exposed application - not all are.

Cheers...................Sean

Andy78
23rd June 2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks not too keen on F17, there is lots of gum vein and checking. But what other hardwood options do I have at a reasonable price?

Pulse
24th June 2006, 02:52 PM
Andy, nothing beats TP for price, hardwood is heavier, more difficult to work and will cost probably three times as much. Why not stain the TP, you probably would be pushed to tell the difference.

Cheers
Pulse

Dan_574
24th June 2006, 07:49 PM
just finished using pre primed treated pine for a handrail and let me tell you that I will be using it for most things from now on, straight, knot free, defect free. Its costs more but the finish is worth it. Take a look at the link below. It may be worth a look.

http://www.designpine.com.au/

Andy78
25th June 2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks Dan, I'll have to check out the price of this option. I have used this product before for weatherboard stops and it does give a nice clean finish.
Another issue is if it is sufficiently strong for my suspended pergola.

Andy

Barry_White
25th June 2006, 11:24 AM
Why not try Merbu/Kwila. It is a hardwood that has excellent exterior properties. It's only downside is bleeding when it gets wet if you haven't sealed it. It has a greasy texture that repels water.

Dan_574
25th June 2006, 07:08 PM
andy have a look at the link I gave you, the span tables are there too. If its 6m long you will get away with using 138x42, it spans up to 4m odd with a post in the middle it will be fine.

Andy78
25th June 2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks Dan. I had a look at the website. I think it will be ok. The pergola is about 6m wide without any posts but I have in place 2 small steel beams to support the end and middle of the pergola.

Dan_574
26th June 2006, 09:59 AM
just saw that your in melbourne, I had trouble finding the stuff here and the prices varied greatly. I went with fowles timber in port melbourne.

Phil Spencer
26th June 2006, 10:27 AM
We had an oregon pergola outside, dry rot after 6-8 years. Easy to work by in my opinion does not have the durability for external use.
Maybe hardwood or dressed TP

Cheers
Pulse
My Oregon pergola rotted out also. Replaiced it with zinc plated and powder coated steel much better no painting!

Phil

Andy78
26th June 2006, 08:58 PM
Dan, Tait timber in Tooronga have Design Pine but I'll check out Fowles as well.

builtforcomfort
29th June 2006, 02:01 PM
Just wondering, I used oregon on my verandah which is completely covered, is it still prone to rot if it is outside but not exposed to the weather??

Pulse
29th June 2006, 03:29 PM
Builtforcomfort,

it should be OK, but often even outside ones are exposed to weather around the edges.

Cheers
Pulse

ausdesign
29th June 2006, 03:48 PM
Just for general info.
All above ground 'exposed' timbers, to meet the requirements of the Timber Framing Code, need to be durability class 1 or 2.
External above ground timbers 'protected' can be Class 1,2,3 or 4 timbers.
Protected, as defined under the code, is where the roof or eaves overhang is greater than 30 degrees measured from the base of the timber and the timber is painted or stained and kept well ventilated.
Oregan is a class 4 timber.

scooter
29th June 2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the post Peter. :)

Having a bit of trouble understanding the 30 degree bit, could you explain or possibly post an example with a diagram if at all possible ?

Thanks mate............... Sean

billrule
30th June 2006, 12:47 AM
TP does have good credentials for this type of thing, and the solid stains available are pretty good. The suggestion of cypress-pine isn't silly either if you are talking members big enough to be drilling and bolting rather than nailing. They have the advantage of being naturally termite-resistant, and their own resin acts like a preservative. Their size is limited though; if you need 250 x 50 beams or similar, they are unlikely to exist. If you do opt for cypress-pine for use as decking, be aware that it will shrink fairly significantly with age, and don't shirk on the support..it isn't the strongest wood for lateral stress.
Good luck
Bill

ausdesign
30th June 2006, 11:54 AM
Scooter. The 30 degrees is taken as a vertical angle from the exposed timber to the extent of the overhang. For example with a post the angle is taken from the bottom of the post & depending on the roof pitch could result in the need for a 1000mm overhang or even 1200mm. - The higher the post the greater the overhang.
Same thing with bearers & joists on a verandah. The higher the roof the greater the overhang needs to be to achieve the 30 degrees.
Obviously this is impractical & hence the need for using treated or durability class 1 or 2 timber.
A big problem that builders & DIY's face is that if you go into a timber yard & order OB for your bearers & joists as durability class 1 or 2 you'll usually receive a blank look from the staff.

scooter
30th June 2006, 10:05 PM
Peter, I think I have it but could you suss this diagram to confirm? :)

Yeah, I know, slow learner... :o :rolleyes:

Cheers mate.................Sean

ausdesign
3rd July 2006, 11:01 AM
Scooter - spot on.
I should have included a diagram.

scooter
3rd July 2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Peter, & the original info.

Cheers..................Sean