PDA

View Full Version : painting the bath tub

Aangelique1611
13th June 2006, 03:20 PM
Can anyone tell me of any experience, good or bad, with the whiteknights bath tub paint? How hard would it be for a DIY beginner? The guy at bristol has told me its not for beginners however whiteknights seem to think otherwise ... any first hand experience?

My alternatives will be either a new bath mould refit thing (dont know what they are called exactly, the bath that sits in your old bath) or a reglazing job ...

Im starting to think I should be just ripping everything up and replacing it new however $$$ wont permit this year and its awefully unlivable at present ...

Sturdee
13th June 2006, 05:12 PM
Don't know about the White Knight paint but when I was looking at reglazing of our bath I contacted about 8 reglazing companies and each asked as a first question if it had been repainted or reglazed.

When I said no they gave me a quote, subject to site inspection, which was in all cases about $ 100 less than the quote they gave me a few days later after answering that it had been reglazed before.

Made me suspicious of the whole repainting / reglazing process as obviously it doesn't last much longer than the guarantee period. Hence I went for a bath insert.

Peter.

Aangelique1611
13th June 2006, 11:15 PM
thanks sturdee, i see what you mean ... I did the ring around today and was asked the same qu. plenty ... I think your right about an insert being the way to go although they were willing to put forward a 20 yr gaurantee ... much longer than I intend to own it ... still, suppose I dont want to have to think about which cleaners and shampoo I'm using ... or guests more to the point ... toiletries bag check b4 guests use my bathroom would not b cool :)

Sturdee
14th June 2006, 05:21 PM
.......they were willing to put forward a 20 yr guarantee ...

Yes the famous 20 yr guarantee when they know they will liquidate their company every few years and start again under a different name.:D

Peter.

arms
14th June 2006, 06:35 PM
hi well i have done the bathroom on the one of the rentals i own and even i was sceptical about the white knight claim,but then again the people of this forum will think i am a sceptical b/sted any way, its pretty good stuff ,because its a two pack product (part a to part b ) you have no time to leave the mixed paint when waiting for the first coat to cure ,place the remaining paint in the fridge to slow the curing process down and you should be ok ,
on another line did you get your benchtop problem solved????????????

Aangelique1611
14th June 2006, 08:28 PM
So arms, you say you have used the tub paint by whiteknights? just the feedback source i was after :o The guy at bristol told me it was a no no for beginners, would you be inclined to agree or disagree? That would obviously be my 1st preference for a quick fix ... (nb. i intend to do the whole rip tiles out, put new tiles and claw foot bath in ... when funding permits ... 1 yr? 2 yrs? however dont want to savage resale value in the interim just incase that ever becomes necessary)...
Re. the benechtop, i tried the bloke's email addy you gave me and it kept getting bounced back? - maybe a full account? not sure ... I was sending picture files to give an idea of things so could have been a big file ... sent you a PM to get a mobile # for him ... if you have one maybe you could PM it to me and I will give him a bell? ... the cheapest quote I have received so far is a smidge under 1.9k ... seems more than I was expecting ... just getting one or 2 more to make sure im being told market rate ... looking to have it done in august so no massive hurry but thinking i need to book it in early to get in smoothly between leases without to much hit to the pocket for unleased time

Aangelique1611
14th June 2006, 08:53 PM
oh, ps. arms, how did u go with the laminate paint in the shower? had a chance to do it yet? look ok?

arms
15th June 2006, 09:07 PM
yes i did it in the shower ,followed the details from white knight to the letter and it was acceptable to me (being the cynicall b/sted that i am) i did make a point of throughly sanding the lamipanel back so that the paint could get a firm grip of the substrate ,came up pretty good really ,but time will tell ,i am only going to keep that house for another year or so , it will serve the purpose

arms
15th June 2006, 09:10 PM
aangelique1611
i p.m.ed you back with his details from my records if you didnt get it p.m me again and i will resend i did give you a bum steer the first time ,sorry

Wombat2
16th June 2006, 01:22 AM
I haven't been happy with White Knight products in the past- feel there is too much thinner and not enough pigment. I am about to paint a second hand fibre glass shower base useing a Marine 2 part epoxy. It has a 2 part prep coat which is to be followed by the two part top coat. $24 each with the prep coat being 1 litre and the top coat 500ml. I used a similar product about 25 years ago on a batch of our canoe club canoes and apart from the obvious physical abuse the paint is still intact. Haven't decided if I'll spray or brush. A local bath resurfacer quoted me $490 to do the same thing :eek: