PDA

View Full Version : Cement Rendering / What Paint

Mick Dundee
8th June 2006, 09:24 PM
Giday all.
Wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Just had the house cement rendered. Could someone enlighten me on a good sealer and what paint 'they' would reccommend or general hints.
Plus (probably somewhere else in the forum) The internal walls have been previously painted with enamel paint. As some of my walls have been lengthened with new gyprock, would sanding be the way to go for preparation before applying acrylic paint?
Appreciate the comments.

Thanx

johnc
8th June 2006, 11:33 PM
Stick to waterbased paints for the outside render, Iwould suggest a quality undercoat first then top coats. For the inside if going over oil based enamel there is a product you can paint on however if its oil based you are better off sanding, applying a water based undercoat then your acylic top coat. Generally acrylic will go over oil but not the otherway around.

On the render there are also a number of coloured products made just for the outside and it might be worth while doing a search on render, paint etc as this topic as been done to death more than once.

John

Mick Dundee
10th June 2006, 08:19 AM
John
Thanx for the reply.

boban
10th June 2006, 01:38 PM
To use acrylic over an oil based paint, use an oil based undercoat. It stinks but it works.

dapainter
12th June 2006, 08:02 PM
Hey mate,

for cement render use a 3 coat system. (if using taubmans or brsitol do the following).. these are all acrylics

1st coat: armawall primer/sealer
2nd: weathertough forte low sheen
3rd: weathertough forte low sheen

or ask any other paint mob to give you their equivalent

to paint your oil based walls, you will need to go over it with an oil based undercoat first, and then paint over that with 2 coats of acrylic. This is by far the best and safest way to do it.

its ok to paint oil based on acrylic but if you paint acrylic onto oil based without an oil based undercoat or proper preparation, the acrylic paint will just scratch off!!!!

hope that helps:)

Interwood
12th June 2006, 11:51 PM
Hi,

I need a recipe please for rendering my cement panel shed. Are there any good secret ingredients that you tradeies use?

Thanks Guys,

Interwood

Mike T
13th June 2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Interwood,

Pre mix is the go. I had the front of my house done with the "pros' using this. They mixed a bag up in a wheelbarrow using one of the spiral paint stirrers that go on your drill. They then applied the scatch coat and come back the next day and applied the final coat and smoothed off with foam trowel. Below is a link to one supplier but there are heaps out there. I plan to do the rest of my house myself as $30-$40 m2 is a bit $$$$$$$$$.

Good luck.

Mike

http://www.rockcote.com.au/technical/quick.html

Pulse
13th June 2006, 11:54 PM
I have a related question on Porter's paints. They claim their mineral paint chemically reacts with the lime in the cement render and has a 30yr + life expectancy. Also it is twice as breatheable as acrylics which makes it great for my DPC-less 2 storey building.

Has anyone used it??

Are visible lap marks a real issue?

Thanks Pulse

dapainter
15th June 2006, 11:08 PM
I have a related question on Porter's paints. They claim their mineral paint chemically reacts with the lime in the cement render and has a 30yr + life expectancy. Also it is twice as breatheable as acrylics which makes it great for my DPC-less 2 storey building.

Has anyone used it??

Are visible lap marks a real issue?

Thanks Pulse

porters paints are over rated and over priced IMO.. I try to stay clear of them.

That said I have done a lot of porters paint finishes and have never had any issues with them except that they are very pricey for what they are. Architects etc love them as they think it is a specialty paint LOL.

I would tend to stick with your major brands of acrylics.. taubies, bristol, wattyl, solver and dulux!!

Pulse
16th June 2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks, I'm convinced
:o