PDA

View Full Version : 6m x 10m Decking

hewat
4th June 2006, 01:15 AM
OK, I'm considering attaching a 6m x 10m decking to the 2nd level of my house. Ideally I would prefer to have posts around the edge only because I want to use the space below. Can this be done? How many posts would i need for the 10m length? How many 6m beams would I need?

Matt

Bluegum
4th June 2006, 08:11 AM
Matt, welcome mate. You may want to check out building decks and pergolas by allan staines as it has all the span table that will answer your questions. In all honesty I would be checking with with you architect or your certifier as they will ans should know the stardards like the back of their hands. Allan staines's book will have it as well because its taken from AS1684, but your cetifiers can put it in perspective to you if the stuff on paper looks a bit daunting.:)

bitingmidge
4th June 2006, 09:07 AM
Just one thing to remember: if you have a brick veneer house, DON'T fix the structure to the brick skin, make sure it is fixed to the main structure AND is properly braced.

It's a recurring theme of mine, but just last week in a Brisbane suburb an eleven year old was killed when a Brick Pillar toppled on him.

Brick is designed to hold vertical loads only, nothing sideways!

As for the rest: take Bluegum's advice!

cheers,

P