PDA

View Full Version : Danish oil

Ivor
2nd June 2006, 08:44 AM
On a few paints that I have used the instructions generally say not to use below 10 degrees C.

My shed doesn't warm up to that until around 12 noon but I am wanting to finish some boxes with Danish Oil. Although the instructions do not say anything about temperature would it be bad to use it below 10?

NewLou
2nd June 2006, 09:42 AM
Gidday Ivor :)

Stick to the makers instructions to the letter. I've been trying to squeeze in coats on a workbench I've been working on overnight with disasterous results. Theres been a cool change here with winter setting in and 'the shed' is well below 10 degrees overnight.

This has resulted in blistering occuring & I have to cut back the whole finish and start again. Needless to say my next investment is going to be a decent thermometer etc for my shed so that I can apply finishes within recommended temperatures

REGards Lou

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd June 2006, 06:35 PM
On a few paints that I have used the instructions generally say not to use below 10 degrees C.

My shed doesn't warm up to that until around 12 noon but I am wanting to finish some boxes with Danish Oil. Although the instructions do not say anything about temperature would it be bad to use it below 10?

One of the main reasons for using DO is get penetration into the timber... and if the oil is sluggish/viscous then penetration is heavily reduced. Different brands of DO's seem to thicken at different temperatures so I can't point my finger at 10°C or any other temp... but as a rule of thumb, when it comes to any finish I find it generally goes on easier and ends up with better results at shirt-sleeve temperatures.

Any chance of getting 'Her Indoors' to share a bit of her domain when the mercury hits the wee figures?

Auld Bassoon
2nd June 2006, 06:55 PM
Hi Lou,

If the piece is reasonably sized (not sure about your workbench dimensions), then one or several desk-type lamps with incandescent globes will get the workpiece up to a reasonable working temperture - and can be left on overnight at minimal cost and will be safe as well.

BTW, I find that a combo thermometer and hygrometer is a very useful instrument to have in the shed. It doesn't even have to be all that accurate, so a cheapie will do just fine.

NewLou
2nd June 2006, 07:18 PM
Thx Steve thats some great advise something I'll be trying in the not too distant future:)

REgards Lou

Ivor
3rd June 2006, 09:35 AM
It's gonna be a while before I see T shirt type weather, so I might have to go the indoor smelly option and have UN negotiators on my side.

Thanks

rsser
3rd June 2006, 12:41 PM
I've used Rustin's DO at less than 10 degrees; it can be thinned with White Spirits, but as always, do a test first.