PDA

View Full Version : how to build

Tonyz
27th May 2006, 07:01 PM
ok this will bring out the purists.
we are planning our new house (sometime in the next 2 years:eek: ) and if Iam going to do the kitchen what is the best way to build
a)) panel modules (the same as kitsets)
b) the frame as in older styles.

If making module what wood ie mdf or what

cheers guys & gals & others...........Tonto

echnidna
27th May 2006, 09:26 PM
Construction type is more a matter of preferences if you look at it from the end users viewpoint.

The 2nd type is probably got a lower total materials cost

Use melamine faced moisture resistant particle board.
Its strong and easy to clean and virtually eliminates all frames except for the face frame on the front.

journeyman Mick
27th May 2006, 11:58 PM
Tonto,
I've built kitchens both ways but for speed and ease of installation I'd go the modules out of board. I generally use 16mm white HMR melamine board. MDF is heavier, more expensive and sags more. Use clear AV56 glue (by AV Syntec) and brads or screws. For our own kitchen I bought a whole stack of 15mm exterior ply which I was going to limewash and laquer for the carcasses. I'm having second thoughts now and may only use it under the sink and for our vanity. It's a lot more work to finish and tends to bow and twist. You can straighten it as you assemble but it just means more time.

Mick

Tonyz
28th May 2006, 08:06 PM
Ah so as I said the purists will rise thanks for your thoughts you learned gentlemen(?) so answered the way I thought of going but wanted others ideas.
What books on building kitchens/bathrooms would be suggested then

Tonto

Guy
29th May 2006, 02:03 AM
My supplier sells White HMR about $1 metre square cheaper than non HMR.
there are a few good sites to read up on
http://32mm.dalrun.com/System_Design/index.html
http://blum.com/usa/img/brochure_pdf/process32.pdf

Tonyz
29th May 2006, 10:34 AM
Another Q. by the time one is ready to 'fitout' a kitchen everything is racing towards finish and move in, so, do I make all the units myself or buy kitset? Yes kitset will be dearer but should be qicker to get. But you dont know freight costs over here!

Sybarite
29th May 2006, 11:03 AM
Carcass building is not difficult, but can be laborious if one is not geared up for it.

Using a quality precut carcass system can save you a heap of labour.
A good flatpack kit will have all the boards cut, edged and drilled for you ready to assemble - and if it's a very good kit it will screw together so nicely you won't even spend a moment thinking you could have done it easier, and possibly better, yourself. Of course, not all flat pack kitchen systems are equal...

From an assembly and installation point of view if you are using a flat pack system you can spend a day assembling your carcasses (if there are a lot of them) and a day or two installing.

I would still reccomend a months lead time with any kitchen plan.
Check on times with the supplier you choose. Just because it is flat packed doesn't neccesarily mean it is "off the shelf".
All of our kitchens, for example, are specified when ordered and the package put together in the workshop based on each individual plan. This can take 15+ working days, depending on whether or not you want your doors cut and drilled for you and what sort of doors they are.

Freighting a flat system is about as economical as kitchen transport can get - as you are only paying for the finished job, not raw materials - but of course it all depends on how expensive your local fabricators are and what sort of economy of scale you can take advantage of.

Good luck.

Respect, all.

Earl

arms
29th May 2006, 07:15 PM
i would have to agree with earl about this ( there you go guys i do agree on something)