PDA

View Full Version : how to clear-finish a Recycled 1885 Oregon ?

Vero
26th May 2006, 09:31 PM
Hi, I'm new in this site and I need advise from the experts. I'm lucking to find myself the happy possessor of the original oregon beams of an old GPO (1885). Part of these beams will be dressed for windows and doors. I insist to keep the "natural" feel of the timber (grain & colour). We have tried water based anti UV (acrylic resin) coating but the timber got discoloured. There are so many different options that I got lost ! Is there ANYTHING around which wil keep the grain and colour closest to its original finish while fully protecting it against the wheather???
I would be so grateful for any advise.
I also got a dining table / snooker table to built from these old recycled beams, so I'll be back for more!
Cheers
Veronique

bitingmidge
26th May 2006, 09:53 PM
Is there ANYTHING around which wil keep the grain and colour closest to its original finish while fully protecting it against the wheather???

No.

NO. NO. NO.

Durability. Class 4 - Suitable for use in continuously dry situations under cover, well ventilated and fully protected from the weather and other dampness. It may also be suitable for some weather exposed non-structural applications.

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/hardwoodsqld/13176.html

Timber generally has NEVER historically been used exposed externally in the Australian climate, and the species that have are somewhat more durable than Douglas Fir! This whole expose the joinery thing is a 70's hippie over-reaction, and a completely inappropriate use of the material!

The only solution is to properly prime all joints BEFORE assembly, then paint timber exposed to the exterior. The interior bits are fine clear finished.

I hope I've made myself clear!

Cheers,

P
:)

ozwinner
26th May 2006, 10:37 PM
This whole expose the joinery thing is a 70's hippie over-reaction, and a completely inappropriate use of the material!

What are you saying man?

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/hippie-tie-dye.gif

Al :cool:

Carpenter
26th May 2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah man! the commune was sooooo beautiful, built from natural timber baby, until we all bitched ourselves into seclusion.

bitingmidge
26th May 2006, 11:11 PM
What are you saying man?
Leave oregon in the weather if you want a really nice crop of special mushrooms!

P
:D :D :D

Carpenter
26th May 2006, 11:22 PM
So thats how you grow them?

echnidna
26th May 2006, 11:23 PM
Trouble is they won't even be feelgood mushies

BrisBen
27th May 2006, 12:48 AM
if you are planning to build a concrete slab anytime they're great for formwork