PDA

View Full Version : Sealing a new timber staircase

Metung
24th May 2006, 05:04 PM
I have just had a jarrah and Vic ash staircase installed in the house that I am building (in Victoria). I went down to the local paint shop expecting to get some kind of sealer to give it some protection at least while the building phase proceeds. I was advised that I could no longer use a "standard" coating on stairs because it would not pass the non-slip test at final inspection. I was assured the inspector would ask what sealer I had used. Has anybody else heard of this?

Anyway, I ended up buying 2x4 litre cans (only came in 4 litre cans) of what seems to be very expensive, toxic and volatile polyurethane. I had to buy the second can to achieve the satin finish that I wanted. On the bright side, it passes the non-slip test and I was advised that it is only one of two products that does at this time.

I just had a thought - I could have told the inspector a porky.

ausdesign
25th May 2006, 04:42 PM
As a building designer I must admit that this is something that has not crossed my mind with internal staircases. External - yes.
The non slip surface is logical but I don't know where it is mentioned in the reg's for internal stairs & I haven't come across a case where an inspector has picked it up on the final inspection.
Sealing of timbers during construction can be done with a mixture of terebin, linseed oil & kero but this doesn't safeguard against dents & I'm unsure of the effect on finishing coats.

elphingirl
25th May 2006, 09:00 PM
What about some old carpet to protect the overhangs too?
Cheers
Justine

thebuildingsurv
26th May 2006, 09:51 AM
The BCA specifies that treads must have a slip resistant finish or non-skid strip near edge of nosing. I have never seen a sealer that falls under the slip resistant category, we generally ask for the stick on strips, however many building surveyors do not. Talk to your surveyor, if he accepts the sealer then you can be dodgy and just get the specs and write a letter that this has been installed as per manufactures requirements, this should suffice. How bout a sheet to protect it or some cardboard tacked on.

Metung
26th May 2006, 06:18 PM
I've done a bit more research on this and I'm at a loss.

The products I am using is Polycure 1045 Super Gloss and Polycure 1013 Super Satin. The satin goes on last because I didn't want a gloss finish.

The Polycure web site says that the super gloss exceeds the AS/NZS 3661.1 Dry Slip Resistance Specification. No such claim is made for the super satin so I am up the proverbial there.

I checked the Australian Standards website and the above standard is a 1993 standard that was superceded in 1999. I hope Polycure's products are more up to date than their web site and/or quality control program.

I'm just a humble owner/builder trying to get the job done. Maybe I need a coat of 1045 because dealing with a lot of this nonsense certainly takes the gloss off the project.