PDA

View Full Version : Fuming experiment

rrich
22nd May 2006, 07:01 AM
I did some fuming with 26° Be Ammonia. (Nasty stuff) Here are the results. The top samples are before and the bottom are after. The samples of wood, left to right are:

Red oak, oak, black walnut, poplar, maple and mahogany. The base is typical KD construction lumber. (Probably pine)

The most amazing part was the darkening of the finish that I applied over the labels. This was three pound cut of shellac. (A commercial product, Zinsser Bulls Eye amber shellac.) I did not expect the shellac to darken as it did. The second picture includes a piece of the base that was coated with shellac but not fumed.

The blue tape is plastic and was intended to introduce a non fumed area to show the contrast. We can all see how well that idea worked.

:(

ubeaut
22nd May 2006, 08:56 AM
Here's something even better.

My mate Rob Day from New England Woodturning Supplies has developed a Natural Ebonising Solutions which are organic, simple to use and great for enhancing bland timber. http://www.newagemultimedia.com/woodwork/eComm/category4_1.htm. It is terribly cheap and able to be mailed anywhere.

I have tried it and it is much better than any other I have used before and a far better product than you can produce yourself. It is UV stabilised so it will produce the same even dye rate time after time, unlike the home made stuff that will give widely varying colours. I am most impressed and highly recommend you to give it a try.

While you are there have a look at his gallery of work. Pretty amazing stuff. http://www.newagemultimedia.com/woodwork/index.html

Cheers - Neil :)

PS The solutions are dead safe to use..... They reckon you can drink it (I wouldn't). It is also infinitely more safe to use than fuming and will give you really impressive results.

It will also put one of these :D on your face and definitely get rid of this :(

Cliff Rogers
22nd May 2006, 08:19 PM
Niel, the home page of that site says....
Australian Customers Only

Rich isn't.

BrisBen
22nd May 2006, 10:44 PM
Hi Rich

I appreciate the effort you have gone to but I have a little problem with the photos.

The shadow density in them do not really match - not your fault, just what happens when you shoot with digital cameras.

Can I suggest that you pop into a professional photography lab/supplier and buy a set of density bars - they remain the same in either shot (they haven't been altered ) and the colour balance, effect of flash, ambient light can change. They will give you a reference point to show those of us who can't see it with our own eyes.

I'm sure the results are dramatic but a low resolution pic with no reference does them no justice.

Congrats on doing the experiment by the way

rrich
1st June 2006, 01:42 PM
Can I suggest that you pop into a professional photography lab/supplier and buy a set of density bars - they remain the same in either shot (they haven't been altered ) and the colour balance, effect of flash, ambient light can change. They will give you a reference point to show those of us who can't see it with our own eyes.

The background is mat board that is as close to an 18% gray card as I could find at the picture frame shop. Does that help?