PDA

View Full Version : Chamferboard Paint Removal

Rubber
19th May 2006, 04:42 PM
I want to paint my Queenslander but on 2 exterior walls the paint is peeling badly (north and west sides) and it needs to go back to bare timber approx 70m2.

The house was built in the 1920's and the bottom layer is lead based. I had a quote to sand these 2 walls by a subbie with a special vaccum sander for nearly $4k!! As I could reclad the wall (don't really want to) for $1800 this seems excessive.

I did a thread search and people have been talking about Bahco scrapers. Will the scraper remove the paint back to bare without a heatgun? I assume the heatgun is also bad for the user when lead paint is involved.

I had also planned to wet strip, but after trying a small area it would take many many hours to do this. Is there a stronger stripper on the market other than the bostik gear sold by Bunnings?

thanks

Canetoad
19th May 2006, 07:48 PM
Metabo used to have an interesting looking thing called a paint stripper which their Catalogue said was brilliant, well it would wouldn't it. It wasn't too expensive either from memory. That with a Shop vac and you are set Maybe someone has actually used one could tell you if they are any good

Ben

dapainter
12th June 2006, 08:49 PM
I want to paint my Queenslander but on 2 exterior walls the paint is peeling badly (north and west sides) and it needs to go back to bare timber approx 70m2.

The house was built in the 1920's and the bottom layer is lead based. I had a quote to sand these 2 walls by a subbie with a special vaccum sander for nearly $4k!! As I could reclad the wall (don't really want to) for $1800 this seems excessive.

I did a thread search and people have been talking about Bahco scrapers. Will the scraper remove the paint back to bare without a heatgun? I assume the heatgun is also bad for the user when lead paint is involved.

I had also planned to wet strip, but after trying a small area it would take many many hours to do this. Is there a stronger stripper on the market other than the bostik gear sold by Bunnings?

thanks
Hi,
there is a reason why the sanding quote was so high to remove the lead based paint. It is a very slow job which is highly governed nowerdays. There is a lot work involved and no residue of any sort is allowed to float in the air or to land on the ground. I will no longer do lead removal work on a large scale due to the rules and regulations surrounding it.

The best way is to wet sand it, however it is very slow. Othewise you can probably rent a special sander. Make sure the vacuum sander has a hepa filter and that you also wear a hepa filter mask. make sure you hang srop sheets from your gutter all the way to the ground and have palstic drop sheets on the ground to catch any debris!! if you dont, and you get caught, there are heavy fines in place. It sucks but thats the way its gone now.