PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Starts

Simomatra
12th May 2006, 05:45 PM
Hi

Just a few pic's of WIP in the rec room bar under the house. Carpet and old lino tiles removed.

Started laying the porclaine fllor today hence missing the wood show.

Had to do it today as the son was here. Wod show tomorrow

Was originally going to paint first but now the tiles first

mic-d
12th May 2006, 06:34 PM
G'day Sam, that's a bit of a job you've got ahead of you there!
How are you setting out the tiles? Just wondering cos I didn't see any chalklines there. I've got some tips for setting out that removes need for spacers and is very fast (and neat), if you'd like to know.

Cheers
Michael

Simomatra
13th May 2006, 08:51 AM
Mick

We are setting the tiles out in the traditional way using the string lines and allowing for 1mm joints

Allways interested if you have another way of doing it

Thanks

mic-d
13th May 2006, 09:02 AM
G'day Sam, it's probably the same as I do it then. I snap grids of chalk lines, say for every tile or every second tile. The grid is originally oriented off a conspicuous wall or what ever you need to accommodate. So for 333mm tiles snap lines every 337mm or 674mm. Notch out a matrix say 4x2, leaving the outside chalk lines visible and drop in the 8 tiles. Sight the 4mm gaps (or whatever you use) by eye and move on. The advantage with this is you can see the whole layout before a single cut and adjust the layout if necessary (if its across many rooms for example) and you have no runout due to differences in tile/spacer size.

Cheers
Michael
Have fun at the wood show!