PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Plaster Dust Everywhere?

Metal Head
6th May 2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just looked throught the archives and found the thread below to be the closest to what I was seeking. In that yesterday, I sanded down (with a electrical Orbital sander) the part of our back room ceiling that the roofing contractor had put his foots through last October. However, after I finished sanding, the room looked like the winter snow had arrived early:mad:. Fortunetely I had the sense to cover most things prior but it was still a pain having to clean up afterwards.

Thus generally speaking what could be done (if possible) to prevent sanding the ceiling flat and creating dust everywhere?. Do the professionals use a straight edge to level off the plaster they have just applied?, or are there other tricks of the trade. The area I was sanding was approximately 600mm square.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=3843&highlight=sanding+plaster

Thanking all those who take the time out to answer any of my questions or add some advicethat would help.

Cheers
David

ThePope
6th May 2006, 04:24 PM
Only trick of the trade is plasterers have the "knack" and their work needs very little sanding, they also use an electric sander hooked up to a vacuum to avoid eating buckets of dust. Only staright edge they use is a standard 300mm steel float. Is not possible to avoid sanding as far as I know.

maglite
7th May 2006, 11:07 AM
Only trick of the trade is plasterers have the "knack" and their work needs very little sanding, they also use an electric sander hooked up to a vacuum to avoid eating buckets of dust. Only staright edge they use is a standard 300mm steel float. Is not possible to avoid sanding as far as I know.

Nor is it possible to avoid the cleaning.

best advice i can offer is empty the room of all furniture.......all you have to do then is vac the walls and floors.

echnidna
7th May 2006, 01:42 PM
The sander with a vac attachment is the only way to avoid the huge mess

Bluegum
8th May 2006, 11:23 AM
I wish that I had hired one for the job I did at home. I had powder everywhere through the place. SHMBO was far from impressed with it. I learned as well the more you put on the more that you sand off. Next time its off to Coates to hire the gear and to getn it right without the mess.

Metal Head
8th May 2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks lads for the replies.

As it has been said many times before you have to learn the hard way before you you become more compentent as a DIYer.

Cheers
David (Alias Metal Head)

GraemeCook
8th May 2006, 03:12 PM
Plasterer mate said all of the above help.

Also plaster is very soft and hand sanding is as quick as machine sanding and much less dusty.

Cheers

Graeme

BrisBen
8th May 2006, 08:19 PM
Some of the plasterers I know use cornice cement and "polish" it with a sponge - I think this is how the old fashioned fibrous plasterers used to do it

Pretty sure it takes a helluva lot of practice to get it right

You can get hand sanding floats that take a mesh for sanding with a vac attachment on the back

http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/SV303U_XL.jpg

Not sure who stocks them in Oz though

routermaniac
9th May 2006, 09:18 AM
I use a crappy ozito orbital sander (the "heavy duty model") with the triton bucket/vaccum. The finish is very good and there is very little dust at all. I have just finished re-doing the study which had cracks everywhere and I must admit I could not be bothered doing it by hand.

I would not use a decent random orbital sander as you dont need it with plaster. Dont forget to clean-up the sander with compressed air after you have finished. (make sure you do this outside :) )

regards

MArios

arose62
9th May 2006, 12:52 PM
Have you tried "sanding" with a damp sponge?

No dust, and works wonderfully for me. Also, when finishing cornice, a paintbrush dampened with water does a great job of smoothing off the joints.

Cheers,
Andrew