PDA

View Full Version : Hellllpppppp

ChrisD
4th May 2006, 11:24 PM
Can anyone help me please. ?????
I have just un-ravelled one side of my garage roller door. Yep .... D'oh !
I was trying to install a remote control and stupidly unscrewed all the screws holding the door to the wheel (on the right side). (I trying to set the wheel closer to that side). Thud, twang, it unravelled and sounded like someone was trying kick start a 767 with a lackka band. As U can expect I carn't roll the door up or down, even after trying to re-tension that side.(using the manufactures installation guide). All that happend was a cone shape in the door or the door wound on the axel a small way and then just didnt wind up any more causing the door to hang over the axel or it completly unravelled on the axel. Do I have to completly un-essemble the door ? If so, then what ! Is there anyway of re-setting the orignal tension in the springs before completing the final tension settings ?
I have tried everything ...........
regards ..... ChrisD

scooter
4th May 2006, 11:50 PM
Oh, shyte !

Sorry, Chris, no help at all to you mate but I can feel the pain.

Hope you get it sorted, mate.

Cheers................Sean

ChrisD
5th May 2006, 07:32 PM
Oh Shyte indeed ............

Barry_White
5th May 2006, 07:34 PM
Can anyone help me please. ?????
I have just un-ravelled one side of my garage roller door. Yep .... D'oh !
I was trying to install a remote control and stupidly unscrewed all the screws holding the door to the wheel (on the right side). (I trying to set the wheel closer to that side). Thud, twang, it unravelled and sounded like someone was trying kick start a 767 with a lackka band. As U can expect I carn't roll the door up or down, even after trying to re-tension that side.(using the manufactures installation guide). All that happend was a cone shape in the door or the door wound on the axel a small way and then just didnt wind up any more causing the door to hang over the axel or it completly unravelled on the axel. Do I have to completly un-essemble the door ? If so, then what ! Is there anyway of re-setting the orignal tension in the springs before completing the final tension settings ?
I have tried everything ...........
regards ..... ChrisD
Chris,

Just trying to understand what you have done. As I read your post have you undone the screws that attach the curtain to the wheel drum. If this is the case the the coil spring that is attached to the wheel drum would have lost its tension and spun the drum around and allowed the door to drop down because there would be insufficient tension in the other spring to hold the door up.

If this is so the only way that you will be able to fix it will be to take the door completly down off the brackets to reattach the the drum to the curtain.

Before doing this you will have to release the tension from the other spring.

To do this you will have to be very careful but if you follow the following instructions it will be OK.

First of all loosen the nuts on the axle clamp on the side that you have undone the the drum screws on but do not take the nuts off the "U" bolt.

Next go to to the other side and slowly loosen the nuts on the axle clamp. As you do this the axle will start to turn but do not let it spin to quickly by keeping some pressure on the nuts. You may find that the axle clamps and the saddles may have bitten into the axle and will stop it from spinning so you may have to give the axle a tap with a hammer to loosen the grip of the saddles and "U" bolt.

Once the tension has gone out of the spring you will now be able to take the door down off the brackets. Because you have taken the screws out of the drum it will be a little difficult lifting it down so will really need some assistance to do this especially if you have little side room.

You may be able to put the screws back into the drum and roll the curtain up.

If you can't roll it up while it is on the brackets you will need to remove the side guides to take the door down.

But if you want to move the drum further out to the edge of the door to fit your electric operator you will need to have the door off the brackets and down on the ground.

Because the curtain dents very easily make sure there is no pebbles or rubbish under the curtain. Move your drum out and refix it making sure that it is perfectly at right angles to the axle and there is no wooble in the drum otherwise you will have problems with your electric operator.

You should fix your operator whilst you have the door on the ground making sure you have enough clearance between the operator and the roller door bracket.

Make sure you roll the door up tight and tie it with a rope in the centre before putting it up on the brackets.

Do a search on roller doors on the forum and you will find where I have detailed on how to reinstall a roller door.

I hope this is clear enough and if I have misunderstood the problem send me a message.

ChrisD
5th May 2006, 07:59 PM
Thank U so much Bazza ... I was wondering that is what I will have to do.
Just to let U no exactly what has happined .... I incorrectly un-screwed the curtin that was fixed to the wheel supporting the right side of my door and then the spring let go, but the axel was secured tightly on both sides. The left hand side wheel was not effected (I think) its is still screwed to the wheel. I have tried to re-tension the right side but to no-avail.
Do I have to re-tension both sides, after I take it down, or is there a locking device associated with the axel/spring/wheel ???

Kind regards and many thanks for your help ...
ChrisD

Barry_White
5th May 2006, 08:22 PM
Thank U so much Bazza ... I was wondering that is what I will have to do.
Just to let U no exactly what has happined .... I incorrectly un-screwed the curtin that was fixed to the wheel supporting the right side of my door and then the spring let go, but the axel was secured tightly on both sides. The left hand side wheel was not effected (I think) its is still screwed to the wheel. I have tried to re-tension the right side but to no-avail.
Do I have to re-tension both sides, after I take it down, or is there a locking device associated with the axel/spring/wheel ???

Kind regards and many thanks for your help ...
ChrisD

What you will find when you take the door down that the springs are clamped to the axle. When the tension in both springs is relaxed you will find that the drum wheel should line up with the holes in the curtain. If you want to move the drum closer to the edge of the curtain you will also have to move the fixing of the spring to the axle.

As I said in the previous post and if you do a search or better still here is the link for installing and tensioning roller doors.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=16034&highlight=Roller+door

Hope this helps.

ChrisD
6th May 2006, 04:35 PM
Baz, I could kiss U ........ Thank U very,very much

Barry_White
6th May 2006, 05:36 PM
Not with that beard you wont. Glad I could help. Did you get it working.