PDA

View Full Version : Finish on exterior of old jarrah cottage.

dalejw
1st May 2006, 04:59 PM
I'm just about to head down to the south west to do some work on an old jarrah cottage. The exterior lining boards are getting very dry and grey and need a bit of rejuvenation.

There seem to be a million different formulas that the locals are using to do their cottages. One common one includes equal parts of turps, linseed oil and clean engine oil put on with a brush.

Has anyone else had any experience with these sort of home made preservatives? I'm keen to hear anyone elses formulae or experiences.

maglite
1st May 2006, 07:23 PM
Penetrol paint oil should bring them back to their best.

dalejw
2nd May 2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks for that.

The owners want to stay away from the commercial products as the get a bit expensive for the quantity that will be needed. The wood is really bloody dry.

I did one side of the shed (which represents perhaps 1/10th of the total job) and it took about 20L :eek:

JB
3rd May 2006, 08:05 PM
I'd be wary of using linnseed oil outside; it tends to turn black in parts (at least it does here in humid Queensland) due I believe to it being a vegetable product. Not sure if that applies to both raw and boiled linseed oil; perhaps the latter won't.

Possibly the engine oil others are using prevents this.

I think any oil is going to dissapear into the wood for several (dozen) coats if the the timber is extremely dry. Perhaps you might look at some traditonal (olde time) paint recipies if the owners are into that sort of thing.