PDA

View Full Version : New Rear Deck

Gumby
22nd April 2006, 02:18 PM
Just so you all don't think I've been slacking off lately and I haven't posted any recent woodwork project pics, here's part of the reason I haven't had much shed time this year:

(and also because I've been accused of not posting anything related to woodwork :rolleyes: )

This new deck replaced the old one which i completely pulled down. I was going to just extend it but it was 20 years old and a bit shabby underneath. The old oregon beams weren't going to last another 10 years or so.

The top deck is where we have Sunday bacon & eggs, and Webber roasts :D The bottom deck is for the spa so I took a pic of the view we'll have sitting in it with a nice red, (or blonde, brunette, whatever, I'm not fussy :D :D :D)

Should finish the roof and rails next week, then the deck oil, paint etc

Groggy
22nd April 2006, 02:45 PM
That ain't woodwork Gumby, that's carpentry!

Gumby
22nd April 2006, 03:57 PM
That ain't woodwork Gumby, that's carpentry!

Which is why I posted it in the decking section and not in woodworking pics. ;)

Cliff Rogers
22nd April 2006, 04:17 PM
Birthday party at Gumby's place to christen the new deck :D ?

Groggy
22nd April 2006, 04:22 PM
Which is why I posted it in the decking section and not in woodworking pics. ;)Gettin' technical huh?

Gumby
22nd April 2006, 04:40 PM
Birthday party at Gumby's place to christen the new deck :D ?

Certainly is. Only the Purple Circle members are invited. But if they think they're in the circle, they aren't, so they can't come. And those who don't think they're in, won't come, when they really should because it means they're in.

I think it'll be just me and the dog. :(

Auld Bassoon
22nd April 2006, 06:01 PM
Looks nice mate!

jow104
22nd April 2006, 06:14 PM
Interesting post, liked the pictures, and the project.

Carpenter
22nd April 2006, 06:43 PM
Looks very inviting, & good to see you've not made that oh so common mistake of building something too small.

Cliff Rogers
22nd April 2006, 09:00 PM
Certainly is. ...I think it'll be just me and the dog. :(

I'll be there, ... umm, when is your birthday?:rolleyes:

Gumby
22nd April 2006, 09:35 PM
Not sure. Is there a National Plasticene Day ?

Cliff Rogers
22nd April 2006, 09:40 PM
Your search - "National Plasticene Day" - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Does your dog have a birthday?

ptyltd
25th April 2006, 01:50 AM
Hey Gumby - great looking decks. Hope you don't mind but was interested in where you are going to put the spa. What sort of weight is the deck going to carry and what sort of substructure have you used (bearer sizes and joists etc.). Did you get this section engineered (for capacity etc.) prior to construction?

Also a couple more, I notice like me you have the posts on the outside of the bearer so what wood did you use to act like a facia (right word??)? Also what nails (type and dimension etc.) did you use?

Thanks in advance

Simomatra
25th April 2006, 09:19 AM
Well done Gumby

Nice place to enjoy the B&E, wine, webber and the spa.

Great view

Cheers Sam:)

Gumby
25th April 2006, 03:50 PM
Hey Gumby - great looking decks. Hope you don't mind but was interested in where you are going to put the spa. What sort of weight is the deck going to carry and what sort of substructure have you used (bearer sizes and joists etc.). Did you get this section engineered (for capacity etc.) prior to construction?

Also a couple more, I notice like me you have the posts on the outside of the bearer so what wood did you use to act like a facia (right word??)? Also what nails (type and dimension etc.) did you use?

Thanks in advance

There are extra stuimps uder the area where the spa will be. It's one of those portable cedar surround types, about 1500L. It has extra bracing under there as well. Not engineer designed but I have a builder giving me a hand and he has consulted one to get some guidlines.

The facia boards are 190x45 F7 treated pine. It's all nailed with a Paslode framing gun using 75mm nails. The merbu boards are fixed with dome head decking nails using a coil nailer.

Groggy
25th April 2006, 03:58 PM
There are extra stuimps uder the area where the sap will be. Freudian slip or your favourite spot? :p

Gumby
25th April 2006, 04:14 PM
Freudian slip or your favourite spot? :p

Note to self : put on glasses before you reply :D

jow104
25th April 2006, 06:09 PM
Gumby, I'm hving the sme problem, my keyboard is 6 years old and it is most probably loaded with dust , I have just seen that there are two ayes missing already.

I'll swap keyboards and glasses.