PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a Redgum Table

joebloggs
19th April 2006, 04:45 PM
I intend to try and create my own redgum slab table.

Before I actually purchase a slab I am experimenting on a piece of redgum to see the final finish I can obtain.
(Also to check if I'll have the patience required!)

I'm new to this so I want to see what people think of what I am going to do, before I potentially waste a load of time.
I've studied 'A Polishers Hanbook' and this is what I intend to do

1 Sand through the grades 80-120-180-240-280-320-400
using a random orbital sander with Norton abrasives

2 Wet down the wood with hot water and sand at 400 again when dry

3 Repeat the the Wet down process

4 Put 3 to 4 coats of sanding sealer on, unfortunately I don't have
anything to spray this on so it will have to be by brush.
Then sand again at 400

5 Apply UBeaut Traditional wax, using 000 steal wool
Buff immediately with a clean colth
I'm going to try one side in neutral the other in Cedar to see the difference.

6 Finish with a Swansdown mop on a drill

Have I missed any obvious points?

Thanks in advance for any comments
Cheers

Auld Bassoon
19th April 2006, 07:43 PM
Miss out on using steel wool on raw timber as the wool will leave fine particles of ferrour metal embedded in the grain and will rust and/or discolour the finish. It's ok to use 0000 steel wool after having applied some, for example, shellac.

I'd suggest a cabinet scraper on a small board, possibly then sanded up to 400 grit (and using the wetting method use describe), then mark some dividing lines on the board and apply Danish Oil, Shellac, whatever to each section, and see what the effects look like to you and for your taste.

Gumby
19th April 2006, 07:47 PM
Miss out on using steel wool on raw timber as the wool will leave fine particles of ferrour metal embedded in the grain and will rust and/or discolour the finish. .

Good point Steve, I think that's in the book too - never on raw timber but on sanding sealer I think its OK.

Auld Bassoon
19th April 2006, 08:36 PM
I'd still be really careful using steel wool, even over sanding sealer. Neil says that the uBeaut shellac, thinned down somewhat, is a good sealer, but I'd still think that some pieces of metal could get trapped against the raw wood.