PDA

View Full Version : When can I paint render?

numbat
16th April 2006, 08:09 PM
Just had the interior walls (brick) of my workshop rendered. It will be a week tomorrow. Can anyone offer advise of when it can be painted.

I spoke to the renderer - he says some builders will get painters started the next day which sounds too soon. When is a reasonable time to paint?

Cheers

johnc
17th April 2006, 12:03 AM
you only use water based paints, which actually does allow some moisture to pass through. You can probably paint now there shouldn't be a problem

John

malachi
17th April 2006, 02:27 PM
I understand your dilema about when to paint new render, i've been rendering for 12 years, i stil get the varied information some biulders say you paint in a couple of days, some say 3-4 weeks.

numbat
24th April 2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the reply guys - I have decided to wait for 28 days before I paint with water based paint.

Cheers

Zed
24th April 2006, 10:49 PM
wait 6 weeks or so - let it cure properly, in colde waether it may take longer.

I suggest at least 6 weeks. remenber it doesnt dry - the chemical reaction is what takes place. once its fully set paint away. make sure any wet sopts are dry too (such as leaking taps, condensation - sprinkler stuff etc... I had a leaking pool pump that sprayed a fine mist om the inside of the brick wall and the bricks sucked up the water and infected the render - I had to wait longer for this to dry out too...

WHen I started to paint my render I actually wet the render again with the hose (reaonably wet) and did the first coat- the roller runs better on the rough surface, the paint is absorbed into the render better and forms a seal and the second coat goes on like a dream. my first coat I used 3 x 15l tins, the second coat used less than 2 x 15ltre tins.