PDA

View Full Version : Deck coating removal

jimj
14th April 2006, 11:59 AM
I am seeking to discover if there is a method of removal-stripping back to bare timber on exterior decking which has been fixed with Timberdeck helical thread nails.The type of coatings that I want to get off would be the film type coatings eg. Sikkens-DWD Intergrain. I have used very successfully Citristrip followed with high pressure water cleaning but this is very tedious, extremely messy and often unsuitable based on where the deck is and the surroundings. I realise that you can sand but trying to avoid the heads of the nails that are slightly proud above the deck surface becomes tricky. If you read the many decking oil labels that want to first knock down the nails before sanding. Most people don't want the nail knocked down or the nail isn't going to go down due to the hole size etc. Is there some type of nylon type scrubber that is used in a machine that can strip back, not damage the grain and goes over the nail head with no damage to the nail and the machine. The thought of trying to do this job on my knees with a random orbital sander is very unappealing and I am still not sure that I can cleany remove the product surrounding the nail head. Thank you any help that can be offered.