PDA

View Full Version : Advice on outdoor blue gum table

spherd
12th April 2006, 07:49 AM
G'day all,

My partner and I were recently given, as a present, a large outdoor blue gum table. When the guy delivered it he told us that it was freshly cut timber and will, of course, shrink.

We are currently saving to build an entertainment area in our yard that will provide a roof over the table. Until that time I have just had an old tarp over it.

My question concerns what type of finish I should use on the table. My only experience with finishing wood is using intergrain dimension 4 and DWD on a small deck we have. Otherwise, I have never finished any wood product.

The guy who built the table has only driven a batten screw into the centre of each end of each slab of timber. He has then used white putty on all knots and holes and has then stained the table a jarrah colour.

I have recently finished sanding the table back and digging the white putty out. The timber is absolutely beautiful. I really want to bring out the natural colour and grain of the timber but am worried that if i don't use an oil on the table the timber will start cupping, especially since it only has one screw in the centre of the slab. However, I am also worried that if i use an oil the table it will not stand up to having drinks etc spilt on it when it is actually used for its intended purpose.

Sorry for the long post, but any suggestions on how to finish the table would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Steve

RufflyRustic
12th April 2006, 09:28 AM
Hi Steve,

So glad you want to bring out the natural grain and colour of the timber. I think what the other guy did is just short of criminal, but hey, each to their own.

Now, because it is fresh cut, the slab will move a bit. You may be better off racking/stacking the slab, putting end sealer on the ends and letting it season for a year or so and then finishing/coating.

Keeping it under the tarp out of the weather is good, so long as the air can circulate freely.

I'd suggest you look into the deck finishes available - sikkens, feast watson, cabots are three good brands I know about off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

I'm pretty sure all three make clear decking oil. Being an outdoor table, expect to clean, lightly sand and recoat at least once a year to ensure maximum life of the table - oh - make sure you do both sides so reduce cupping.

Others may be able to provide better advice.

cheers
RUfflyRustic

spherd
19th April 2006, 09:00 AM
Thank you very much for the reply RUfflyRustic.

I agree what the other guy has done is just short of criminal.

Have you had any experience with intergrain? A friend recommended that i use it on the table. I know it is fantastic for decks. However, I am worried that it will change the natural colour of the timber.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve

RufflyRustic
19th April 2006, 09:21 AM
Hi Steve, I've not had the chance to try Intergrain, so can't really say either way, sorry. But, considering what is happening, it will be better to coat it, with just about anything than wait too much longer, especially if you've sanded it back to bare wood.

If you are worried about the colour after coating, go take a look at Sikkens HLS as they have it in a clear. If in doubt, you can always get some intergrain, coat the underside where it will be covered by the legs as a test to see if the colour change happens or is ok.

Best of luck Steve.

I'd be interested in hearing your progress.

cheers
RufflyRUstic

Exador
19th April 2006, 09:56 AM
G'day all,

My partner and I were recently given, as a present, a large outdoor blue gum table. When the guy delivered it he told us that it was freshly cut timber and will, of course, shrink.

We are currently saving to build an entertainment area in our yard that will provide a roof over the table. Until that time I have just had an old tarp over it.

My question concerns what type of finish I should use on the table. My only experience with finishing wood is using intergrain dimension 4 and DWD on a small deck we have. Otherwise, I have never finished any wood product.

Regards,
Steve

Dimension 4 is essential in my opinion - it's fantastic stuff. Not only does it have waxes and acrylic components, it has a high proportion of UV stabiliser and a heap of fungicide in it as well. I've done slab tables that were literally green from the log and had virtually no issues with movement at all over several years to date. The only criticism I can make is that it does tend to have a slightly yellowish tinge when dry, but nothing you'll notice. DWD is likewise a good product and you won't go too far wrong with it. the important thing to remember is to paint ALL surfaces with Dim 4 before assembly and then give it another couple of coats after, especially around the joints.

Exador
19th April 2006, 10:01 AM
Hi Steve,

I'd suggest you look into the deck finishes available - sikkens, feast watson, cabots are three good brands I know about off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

cheers
RUfflyRustic

I wouldn't go Feast Watson, it's essentially an inferior (cheaper) product that Orica market as a price point under Intergrain. The FW "equivalent" to Dimension 4 for example contains less than half the acrylic, no fungicide and only a bare minimum of UV stabiliser. It does have more wax, though, according to Orica and is about 60% of the (wholesale) price. The same sorts of compromises have been made in the rest of the FW lineup as well, I understand.

Carry Pine
19th April 2006, 10:04 AM
Steve,
Always the question for outdoor hardwood is 'Do I oil it and preserve the timber or keep sanding to keep the original look. As the others have said you will need to do something soon. I made a table with a group of young people last year and the blue gum top was in slats (kiln dried). After 8 months it is now starting to go grey and is asking for some preservation. I will use decking oil because of the hard wear that it will get. That pink/ red look will be gone but the timber must be preserved.
To make you envious there is a woodwork factory nearby that will make outdoor settings that need zero maintenance. because they have used seasoned timber and real joints the timber just fades, the pieces stay together etc.
A table that I purchased at the local hardware store recommends frequent oiling with straight linseed oil. no doubt forum members will have definite thoughts on that.

spherd
19th April 2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks for everyones thoughts.

I think i am going to have to go with the oil given the intended purpose of the table.

I will try the intergrain on the underside first and hope that it does not alter the colour too much. Applying the Dim 4 and then DWD.

Unfortunately, the guy who made the table left everything bar the top of the seats and table rough sawn. I have only done a final sand on the top areas. I think i'm in for a long day sanding everything else back.

I have some photos of the table at present so i will try post some before and after shots and also let everyone know what i use.

Thanks again
Steve