PDA

View Full Version : Tile Dust

Babytoolman
11th April 2006, 10:49 PM
Hi all,
I am about to lift about 130m2 of tiles so i can get down to floor boards. My wife has been told that tile dust is poisonous and is now not wanting to let me take them up.
The tiles are just standard tiles (not porcelain) and it is my belief that the dust is not harmfull if wearing a mask.

any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the advice

Roger

ptc
11th April 2006, 11:16 PM
No.
but it will cramp your style making boxes.!
how about a fine spray when doing it ( a hand spray' keep it damp )
should stop the dust.

Gumby
11th April 2006, 11:18 PM
I am about to lift about 130m2 of tiles so i can get down to floor boards. My wife has been told that tile dust is poisonous and is now not wanting to let me take them up.

Just tell her to get out while you do it. And make sure your insurance is paid up.

Babytoolman
12th April 2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks Pete and gumby.

Gumby
12th April 2006, 12:34 PM
I should have added that if they are laid on masonite sheets or cement sheet, just lever up the whole sheet at once. You still get dust but not as much as if you did it individually.

You could also use this as a good excuse to get a Triton Respirator (less the $200) and well worth the money. Don't forget, wood dust is bad for you too.

mic-d
12th April 2006, 03:02 PM
Dangerous if you breath it, so a good mask solves that. Gumby's idea is great. Hang some damp drop sheets or tape plastic sheet across access to other areas cos that dust gets everywhere!

Cheers
Michael

Christopha
12th April 2006, 05:14 PM
Be very careful! Find out exactly what sort of tile they are before you disturb them, if they are the old type "Vinyl" tile they may contain ASBESTOS and you don't want that dust anywhere near yourself or anyone you care for at all......

Gumby
12th April 2006, 05:46 PM
I wasn't aware that old vinyl tiles contained asbestos. How old would it be or do you mean the really old inlaid lino ?

Christopha
12th April 2006, 06:07 PM
I wasn't aware that old vinyl tiles contained asbestos. How old would it be or do you mean the really old inlaid lino ?

:(
The old lino could have in many cases, the underlay paper certainly did and many of the older Lin or Vinyl tiles certainly did.... :(