PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Green Woodchips
10th April 2006, 01:08 PM
Hi there.

I recently made a wedding present table for friends with a blackwood top and sassafras legs. I finished it off with a couple of coats of Minwax Rub-on Satin Poly.

Obviously, this has polyurethane in it.

Swelling with pride, I delivered the table around to my friends. First question they asked: "If we spill something on it, or get a mark on it, what's the best thing to do to get it off?" Stumped me -- I'm no expert on wood finishes.

So ... what DO you do when you get a coffee ring, watermark etc. on a blackwood top with a poly finish?

Any other comments on general care? Sunlight etc.?

Cheers,
GW

Dean
10th April 2006, 02:09 PM
http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod02/01500267.html

Wongo
10th April 2006, 02:21 PM
No wax no ring.:cool: It is polyU right? It is pretty strong so just clean it up with a cloth.

:)

Green Woodchips
10th April 2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks, guys.

The bottom line: poly is one tough finish.

Cheers,
GW

Hickory
11th April 2006, 03:08 AM
Poly applied correctly and if you didn't rub it all off when you polished it should hold up to what ever discusting thing a newly wed should do on their new table. :eek: Might add, a coat of paste wax would ensure protection from their passionate spills. :o

Wongo
11th April 2006, 10:21 AM
Might add, a coat of paste wax would ensure protection from their passionate spills. :o

I might be wrong but I am not so sure about the wax man. Wax does not protect the wood but poly does. Hot coffee cups on wax = rings and to me it is a no-no.

Hickory
11th April 2006, 10:46 AM
I always wax my projects when completed. I have been using a lot of Wipe-on Poly as of late (Many coats) and I finish after a good rubdown with Pumice stone & oil followed by Rotten stone and oil, with a generous coat of Johnson's paste wax. Buff to a luster and I dare you to ring that surface with hot coffee, tea, or passion. Wax protects the Poly from day to day abrasives such as dust, sliding dishes across the surface, and moisture. the wax is replinishable with little effort whilst the Poly require some great effort to return.

I assume you thought I was speaking of replacing Poly with wax, I was not. :confused: Wax is the final step to fine finishing. Of course this is my opinion and customary practice others have theirs. (wrong, of course:eek: )

Wongo
11th April 2006, 11:17 AM
Wax protects the Poly from day to day abrasives such as dust, sliding dishes across the surface, and moisture.

Hickory,

Wax on poly is a bit like leaving the plastic coating on stainless steel. The plastic coating is not tougher than the stainless steel.

Yes wax is great as the last step of fine finishing. I see it as the polishing agent and it gives a bit more shine to the surface. As you buff the surface you are wiping out most of the wax anyway (once again I could be wrong here:o ).

I wax my project all the time but I will not put wax a hard wearing surface. That’s not to say you should never wax a table top as long as you have coasters to protect it.