PDA

View Full Version : cleaning toilet

madjace
10th April 2006, 10:44 AM
hi guys , i am new to this forum .. I have just bought a house and in one of the toilets are brown stains that i cant get rid of , i have tried using a scoth bright pad on them and they wont budge , does any one know of something that will fix this ..

thanks guys

bitingmidge
10th April 2006, 10:51 AM
I was going to say some of my undies have similar stains, but thought better of it.....

If you are referring to staining through iron, or other contaminates in the water rather than a build up of you-know-what, try a dose of oxalic acid which should be available from a decent hardware shop.

Cheers,

P

The Big O
10th April 2006, 10:55 AM
Try domestos (chlorine)

Clinton1
10th April 2006, 10:58 AM
A liberal dosing of Nappy San and leaving it overnight has worked for me in the past both for mineral stains, and general filth (not mine!)

Zed
10th April 2006, 11:00 AM
baking soda - get the wife to do it!

scooter
10th April 2006, 11:25 AM
We had the same, blamed old GI water pipes (or previous owners had major bowel problems... :D )

Replaced all the GI (leaking & rusted) with poly, & missus attacked the rust buildup in the dunnies with an old dinner knife - had to chip it away, bugger of a job by all accounts :rolleyes: :D.

Old dinner knife? I think it was... :p

Cheers................Sean

David L
10th April 2006, 11:34 AM
If it is a build up of you-know-what, try a narrow sharp chisel and scrape away.

Bin J
10th April 2006, 03:16 PM
Just saw an ad on TV . . . How about C.L.R
Instantly removes CALCIUM deposits from glassware, decanters, tea and coffee pots. Instantly removes LIME scales from coffee makers, humidifiers, tubs, toilets and sinks. Instantly removes RUST stains from cement, stucco, porcelain, chrome and metals."

Andy Mac
10th April 2006, 04:05 PM
Got the same problem, and even CLR didn't work, despite its advertising. Apparently this is some iron oxidation from bore water. New toilet is the next option.

Cheers,

Termite
10th April 2006, 05:01 PM
I had the perfect answer ready..... and then I saw BinJ's avatar. :rolleyes:

scooter
10th April 2006, 05:10 PM
Be careful using a sharp tool to chip away, I'd reckon you'd be best not risking chipping/scoring the porcelain.

Bin J
10th April 2006, 05:22 PM
I had the perfect answer ready..... and then I saw BinJ's avatar. :rolleyes:

What about it??? :D

echnidna
10th April 2006, 06:07 PM
Got the same problem at the scout camp with the bore water.
Tried everything, pressure washer, acid, CLR, chlorine bleach.
The chemicals aint good news for septics.

The easiest and fast way is scrape it off with a knife or a long screwdriver.

jow104
10th April 2006, 06:11 PM
What about it??? :D

I prefer Iains;) :D ;)

Jacksin
10th April 2006, 06:28 PM
I think this was discussed some time ago.

I have noticed the glazing is not as good in the bottom of the bowl as the rest of the pan, consequently IF you get the stains removed they will eventually return. Bite the bullet and replace the pan. Last time I looked Bunnies have white Caroma S trap pans for around $70

Gumby
10th April 2006, 06:32 PM
If you've been rubbing somebody else's dunny with a scotch pad, remind me not to shake hands if we ever meet up. :eek:

Why clean it ? Go to Reese's. Buy a new one.

They aren't all that expensive.

journeyman Mick
10th April 2006, 11:33 PM
I've had success with tablets for cleaning dentures - dissolve as per instructions and pour in the pan and leave for a few hours.

Mick

johnc
10th April 2006, 11:41 PM
I've used with great success a granite cleaner from applied chemicals, the tin has lost it's label so I am afraid I cannot name the cleaner but it was white granules and disolved in water. Half a cup of granules into the bowl and leave it for an hour or so, a quick swish with the toilet brush and the lot sparkled as no doubt did the pipe for about 30' or so. Used it on several friends bowls as our water has a high iron content and most of the stain was probably rust as well as slack cleaning. As for scotch bright there is no way I would shove my hand down the S bend for some intimate scrubbing.

John

echnidna
11th April 2006, 01:38 PM
I think this was discussed some time ago.

I have noticed the glazing is not as good in the bottom of the bowl as the rest of the pan, consequently IF you get the stains removed they will eventually return. Bite the bullet and replace the pan. Last time I looked Bunnies have white Caroma S trap pans for around $70

If its a recurring problem due ti the water supply replacing the pan WONT solve the problem as the buildup will happen again.

I have thought about polishing the bowl with an auto polish with silicon or some non stick additive, but haven't tried it yet.

I just give a major clean when the buildup is thick enough to flake off. Interestingly the same mineralised water supply leaves a sandy colored buildup on stainless urinals and on ceramic floor tiles but leaves a definite poo brown in the white toilet bowls.

bitingmidge
11th April 2006, 02:12 PM
Got the same problem, and even CLR didn't work, despite its advertising. Apparently this is some iron oxidation from bore water. New toilet is the next option.

I have a few friends who have fixed the brown stain stuff simply and easily.

Good commercial pump guys can fix the iron oxide staining situation from borewater too. At least there's a bloke in Oxenford and another in Gympie that I know of that can.

Basically you need a "special" filter, and an oxidant injected in the water stream bofore it hits the filter. The gear is available quite cheaply, if you can find someone who knows what they are doing, and usually they inject about 2ppm liquid chlorine, which is a lower concentration than normal town water.

Once the stain is there though, only hydrochloric or citric acid works apparently.

Cheers,

P

jow104
11th April 2006, 05:52 PM
I can now understand why Australians drink a lot of other liquids besides water,;)

echnidna
11th April 2006, 05:54 PM
oh yes john,
most of our houses have a small press button well.
we call it the wc

jow104
11th April 2006, 06:36 PM
Bob, you don't realise how true you speak.

Our American friends have a stainless steel notice printed (stamped) in many of the public conveniences requesting their patrons not to use the toilet bowls for washing their hair. (not the wash basins)
Honest.:) ;) :D

echnidna
11th April 2006, 06:41 PM
Bob, you don't realise how true you speak.

Our American friends have a stainless steel notice printed (stamped) in many of the public conveniences requesting their patrons not to use the toilet bowls for washing their hair. (not the wash basins)
Honest.:) ;) :D

RATFLMAO:)

Clinton1
11th April 2006, 07:00 PM

Lets play "whats that smell"....:D

echnidna
11th April 2006, 07:32 PM
I suppose it means you dont need hairspray to hold it in place

scooter
11th April 2006, 09:08 PM
Quick spritz of Eau de Toilet spray......... :D

zathras
12th April 2006, 07:44 AM
After successfully getting rid of a lot of rust on a camping stove, I suggest giving citric acid a go.

I am amazed at how well it worked, returning back to the base metal quite well. ie shiny steel.

neol
3rd January 2008, 08:00 PM
Cleaning toilets. It's not a fun job, but someone's got to do it. The problem is that most everybody does it, it's just that a lot of them just do it wrong.I have a house hold tip for you, Borex powder found in the laundry section at the grocery story is an old fashioned workhorse. Sprinkle it in and work that powder with your plastic brush. Let it sit in the bowl for half an hour. Flush, and it will be snowy white again.