PDA

View Full Version : What to use??

Les Caddaye
6th April 2006, 05:12 PM
Hi all, Just found this site, lucky because I'm just getting into this woodwork thing (beats playing with dirty oily engines). As one of my first projects, she who must be obeyed, has requested a cheeseboard. I have some Tasmanian Myrtle of the approriate size and have a design in mind etc. I'm wondering what the best way to finish it would be. The coating has to be food safe, washing safe, clear and gee it would be great if it was scratch resistant and bulletproof too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I have some scrap that I am all to willing to test not only your ideas but my skill at finishing.

Thank you

Iain
7th April 2006, 09:57 AM
I just used vegetable oil on my boards and when they get scored with knife marks just sand back and start again.
Unfortunately there is no bullet proof finish and the scars will be a fact of life.
There are some food safe finishes, I have used one, smells nice but taints the cheese if under a dome.
I put some on a board two years or so ago and it still smells, it is not a Ubeaut product but it is in a little black plastic bottle that looks like one of those petrol additives, just cannot remember the name.

Kev Y.
7th April 2006, 10:09 AM
I have used Grapeseed oil, have been told it will not go off.
Neil has also mentioned using Parafin oil, available from most chemist shops.

Iain
7th April 2006, 10:28 AM
Parafin oil, available from most chemist shops.
But considerably cheaper from supermarkets or stockfeed outlets.