PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen resurfacing (vinyl wrap)

BIGSAM
5th April 2006, 11:06 AM
Hello everyone

I've been delighted in reading some of the info given genereously on this forum. Here is a problem I am facing with a 6 year old $16,000 kitchen. The unit has been vinyl wrap which now is starting to peel off. Can we remove that vinyl, sand it down and then re-spray it with a 2 pack urethane?? :confused: (Bench tops are in perfect condition)

Sybarite
5th April 2006, 12:10 PM
Hi BIGSAM,

Are the doors routed?

If so, you might have a bit of a problem getting all of the previous surface treatment out of some of those profiles.

I have personal doubts about the consistency of finish that you would end up with removing the vinyl yourself - a two pack really wants a very smooth and clean surface to look it's best on.

If you are wanting to get someone to do it for you I suspect that a third party spray outfit would not want to look at this sort of job - then again, they might be more aquiescent about unusual jobs where you are, given the location.

While I understand your reluctance to part with a significant portion of your $16K kitchen, I would be suggesting that you consider having a new set of doors and boards cut, drilled and sprayed to replace the existing components.

If local supply is a problem, there are quite a few outfits (like us) who can arrange to get what you need fabricated and shipped to you. You could be suprised how competitive this can be, especially if you use a local (as opposed to National) freight service.

Respect, all.

Earl

macca2
5th April 2006, 05:43 PM
Have you contacted the manufacturer of the vinyl wrap. It should not lift and I would expect that it be replaced at no cost.
Assuming it is installed in a normal house environment not a commercial kitchen.

renomart
5th April 2006, 06:28 PM
Most thermoform door manufacturers give a 7 year guarantee (it just shows how much faith they have in their product ;)). If you can track down the supplier then do so, you might get lucky.

I really think that thermoform doors are not good value for money. Heat and age willl eventually cause the doors to peel. I have noticed recently that a lot of former customers are complaining of peeling thermoform doors (6 to eight years old). :eek:

I agree with Sybarite that sanding back your doors to accept a poly finish is going to be tough going. The adhesives used to bond thermoform is usually contact adhesive or a PVA glue. You must get rid of everything before trying to recoat them with poly.

Alternatively, plain doors are fashionable now and it would be much cheaper to by laminate doors for your kitchen.

Good luck BIGSAM!

BIGSAM
5th April 2006, 11:06 PM
You guys are amazing!
And I value your comments and your interest in my problem.
This kitchen warranty does not work because the fine print, or should I say the "very fine print" says that the warranty is void if kitchen is fitted in very warm climate. Yet no problem for the manufacturer to sell not one but about 15 of these kitchen in a block of units.
Yes the doors and drawers are routed.
So, it looks like we might have to replace doors and drawers.
Sybarite, I took note of your offer.
Thanks again

BIGSAM

GraemeCook
18th April 2006, 06:45 PM
You guys are amazing!
This kitchen warranty does not work because the fine print, or should I say the "very fine print" says that the warranty is void if kitchen is fitted in very warm climate. Yet no problem for the manufacturer to sell not one but about 15 of these kitchen in a block of units.
BIGSAM

Hi BigSam

Before you walk away from your warrantee have a word with the Office of Fair Trading or whatever its called in Alice Springs.

It is commonly illegal to put a voiding clause in a contract but the consumer law is complex and varies between states.

It could be that the installer must honour the warrantee or has common law obligations. Alternatively he may chose to do so if there is OFT involvement.

Another possibility is that you must take action against the house vendor who takes action against the builder who takes action against the installer who takes action against his subcontractor, and so on, and it just ain't worth the hassles.

Its just a phone call to the OFT or a visit, and once you know your position then a friendly phone call to the kitchen installer. He may be equally disappointed in the performance of his product and the possible effect on his reputation.

Best of Luck

Graeme