PDA

View Full Version : This is the way I think I am going for painting my old house- What do you guys think.

siddy
29th March 2006, 01:02 PM
So i checked my house for lead and oh Boy! Is there lots of it!!
This is what i have decided to do.

1. Clean the place with sugar soup.
2. Use minimised sanding where required like lil paint botches here and there and whereever i am going to close the gaps.
3. sugar soap again
4. apply dulux 3 in 1 undercoat. ( heard that it even doesnt require sanding and my friend vouches for it )
5. wait for a day or two and then paint and paint away....

Please - constructive criticism only.
What i want to know is.

1. Have any of you used it? If so did u like or not?
2. Do you guys think its a bad idea. if Yes, why

anything else you want to say that will help me paint my joint

Thanks for reading the post and replying back.

Thanks
Sidd--

Tools
29th March 2006, 06:30 PM
I haven't used it,but don't like the idea of not sanding.You need to sand to get a good bond for the new paint (or you could use something like ESP),but you also need to sand to remove the lumps and bumps and bits of crap because the guy before you never does as good a job as you!

Tools

johnc
29th March 2006, 07:38 PM
I must admit I like the idea of using a course paper to rough up the old surface a bit, nothing excesive just enough to be sure it keys in. Otherwise undercoating and then painting sounds fine. Lead is a bugger but surely the top coat is something else otherwise it has been a very long time since the surface was last painted.

John.

Wood Butcher
29th March 2006, 08:06 PM
I've used the 3in1 paint and it's not too bad. When I painted outside my house I sanded and filled gaps at the same time. I then washed the walls with a weak sugar soap solution, let it dry (around 30 minutes in summer) and then painted.
The inside I sanded well then washed down with a really diluted solution, then wiped with a wet rag to try and get the sugar soap off. Painted the undercoat (oil based) with Penetrol added. Let it dry for a couple of days and then 2 coats of colour.
The problem we had was that the existing paint was an older style paint that had teflon (or something similar) added and that gave us lots of trouble with normal undercoats not sticking. But a little bit of extra preparation gave us a really good finish in the end.
Good luck!

Tote
6th April 2006, 09:45 PM
I've used ESP with some success over old enamel, takes the shine off and lets the new paint stick.
Regards,
Tote

some_one
8th April 2006, 06:08 PM
:) My friend Dulux 3 in 1 says you have to sand over glossy surface but Taubmans 3 in 1 says you don't have to sand even the glossy surface and I have used it and till now it is going good and was easy to use too. So my inclination would be to go with some thing that will even stick to glossy surface but there are more and much experienced people here than me so get their help too It works,,,:) Read my Painting Dilema it will help.