PDA

View Full Version : Gloss finish with U Beaut Hard Shellac

fanlee
27th March 2006, 01:01 PM
Hi.

After 1 month curing period can water be used with the fine grit wet n dry & steel wool etc on a hard shellac finish?

If not what is a suitable process to achieve a gloss finish?

All help greatly appreciated.

TIA.

RobSm

RufflyRustic
27th March 2006, 01:21 PM
I just used the UBeaut's Hard Shellac for the first time. I've found it has it's own high shine without needing any buffing and polishing. I found that 3 light coats = a satin finish and 5 coats gave a really good shine.

I really wouldn't use water on it, instead I'd use EEE and then follow up with some Traditional wax.

Cheers
RufflyRustic

joseph84
27th March 2006, 07:10 PM
i agree with RR. I done the same and the results speak for themselves!

Gumby
27th March 2006, 09:36 PM
Hi.

After 1 month curing period can water be used with the fine grit wet n dry & steel wool etc on a hard shellac finish?

If not what is a suitable process to achieve a gloss finish?

All help greatly appreciated.

TIA.

RobSm

As RR said, get some EEE polish and give it a buff. A swansdown mop (also available from Neil) is the best to use for the job. Always make sure the shellac has cured sufficiently before the EEE goes on. (At least 24 hours)

Tex B
28th March 2006, 08:36 PM
I have tested various pieces with hard shellac, EEE, trad wax, etc. Granted I did not wait a month, but I could not tell the difference between the EEE finish and the traditional wax finish, both over three coats of hard shellac. Maybe with different timber (I used jarrah) or different method (I put the first coat of wax on using 000 steel wool) or a larger area (used about a square foot). BTW, both looked excellent but not glossy.

I'd suggest you do some experimenting with offcuts and see what works well for you.

Tex

RETIRED
28th March 2006, 09:41 PM
Tex. EEE is an abrasive, albeit a very fine one. The wax is a carrier for the abrasive.

Tex B
29th March 2006, 05:45 PM
Sorry if I was not communicating well . I understand what EEE is. The pieces I finished using EEE and then traditional wax were no different (to my hand and eye) than the pieces I finished without using EEE, only traditional wax. So I did not use EEE on my furniture because I couldn't see that it added anything.

But perhaps EEE has the same effect as putting on a coat of traditional wax using 000 steel wool?

Tex