PDA

View Full Version : card scrapers on pine. and steel wool.

JDarvall
24th March 2006, 08:32 PM
Just an observation today. Nothing special really. Probably well known already.

You know how card scrapers can tear up softer woods a bit. Well, I found that you can still get a good result using them, if after scraping you run steel wool over the little burrs left in the wood. Knocks them off, polishing up the wood ready for finish immediatly.

I like this, cause it stays simple. When I bring out the scrapers, I bring out the steel wool,,,,and thats all I need. No bloody messy sandpaper of various grits.

The misses has bought a old chest of pine draws, cheap. Its my job to clean them up, which I do reluctantly. Prefer to make my own, than restore. But, don't mind it too much, cause I like shaving old pine. Old pine has that warm brown colour to it. Quite unlike the fresh stuff.

The draws have cracked apart cause their bottoms didn't have enough room to float in their grooves. So, I've knocked all of the them apart, and am using the scraper on the draw insides, so I can just clean up to the joint, and not on the joint. Else, I fear I'd be affecting the dovetailed fits. Hand plane the other sides a bit, but not much.

Then glue back up. Mend all the blemishes. and float those bottoms freely. etcccc.

scooter
29th March 2006, 12:23 AM
New one on me, Jake, filed away for ref, ta.

Cheers.................Sean

Blokz
29th March 2006, 12:30 AM
Hmm..never would have thought of that. Good advice. Filed away as well.

Blokz