PDA

View Full Version : Nitric Acid and Walnut

hdgis1
22nd March 2006, 03:09 PM
Hi there.

First off - Im new to this forum and relatively new to finishing. While I think I know what I am doing, I continually find that there is something new to learn and am hoping that this is the place to do it. So thanks ahead for your help and patience.

And on to the good stuff - I have seen the effects of nitric acid/seedlac on air dried walnut and am quite fond of it. However, given the hazards of nitrc acid I am not inclined to use it. It has been suggested by an instructor of mine that I might try various combinations of analine dye and shellac but I am not sure what the best combination to use is. If any one has any suggestions I would like to see them. If you have pictures to go along with your suggestions that would be even better! Thanks

Chris

Greg Q
22nd March 2006, 03:16 PM
What does nitric acid do to the walnut? Are you sure that's what it was?
What strength acid was used?

I guess what I really want to know is what color you are after in the wood.
also-this is Black Walnut as found in your part of the world?

Greg

hdgis1
23rd March 2006, 11:35 AM
Nitric acid turns air dried walnut (ohio) a soft yellow color. Combined with seedlac, the walnut appears orange. Not sure as to concentration but think that it was full strength.

BobL
23rd March 2006, 11:47 PM
Nitric acid turns air dried walnut (ohio) a soft yellow color. Combined with seedlac, the walnut appears orange. Not sure as to concentration but think that it was full strength.

Can I recommend a little caution with full strength nitric acid. About 30 years ago one of our labs burned down when concentrated nitric acid dripped onto some incorrectly located chipboard shelving inside a fume hood.