PDA

View Full Version : Best method of removing wall tiles

Farsy
17th March 2006, 10:21 AM
I'll need to remove a smallish area of wall tiles for my kitchen reno.
Whats the best method to use here; try and hammer & chisel them off as neatly as possible (!), or cut the plasterboard behind them and remove it that way holus bolus??

Cheers
A.

ThePope
17th March 2006, 11:18 AM
I use a paint scraper and tap it in underneath the tile, sometimes they come off easily sometimes the opposite. Cracking the tiles with a hammer beforehand can also help the process. Don't expect to get them off without doing damage to the plasterboard though, but if you're careful you'll minimize it.

julianx
17th March 2006, 11:58 AM
Try runninga few cuts through them with an angle grinder, be careful not to go to deep though.

shep
17th March 2006, 12:40 PM
gday farsy
i put in a new kitchen last year and found it easer to cut out the wall however i know a gyprocker and had to move power and pluming so would have cut holes anyhow.

shep

mic-d
17th March 2006, 09:19 PM
If they won't come off with a bolster or chisel, you're better off cutting them out. If you get them off the plasterboard, do not repair any damage with a gypsum based product eg total joint compound. Tile adhesive will not stick to it. Use a cement based tile adhesive to repair. Then use mastic to set the new wall tiles.

Cheers
Michael

jow104
17th March 2006, 09:37 PM
Give the job to the wife, the lady won't ask for her kitchen to be done again;)

joseph84
21st March 2006, 09:23 PM
i agree with jow104, only then will she understand what the job involves ;)

echnidna
21st March 2006, 10:35 PM
But you may not get another meal till she gets the job done!!