PDA

View Full Version : A question for Neil or someone who knows about wax

joseph84
15th March 2006, 09:26 PM
Ive got some stupid questions i need help with :p

Im planning to purchase Neils traditional wax. question is, i have coated the timber im planning to wax with 5 coats of shallac which has made the timber turn to a light brownish colour. Do i use the neutral colour wax or something like the walnut colour to match the shellac?

My other question is, how do you actually apply the wax onto the shallac peiced timber? I've read the instructions but is it possible some one could add a bit more detail to the process for me? I know that you have to buff it to acheive the best finish which i plan to do but im not sure as to how much to apply, etc.

I understand your all busy so i really appreciate what ever help someone can give me :)

Joseph

ubeaut
16th March 2006, 07:53 AM
G'day Joseph - Use neutral colour. Using wax really isn't complicated, don't go looking for the hard way to do it because there isn't one. As Mr Miagi said in the Karate Kid - "wax on, wax off." That's it, nothing more.

Apply with a clean soft rag. Just enough to give a light haze of the wax over the entire surface to be polished. Leave to dry then buff it with another clean soft rag, turning the rag often so as to remove the wax without spreading more over the surface.

Drying time could be from a couple of minutes to an hour best test is to lightly drag a finger over the wax and if the haze moves freely leave it longer if it is harder to move then it is ready to buff. You don't have to leave it till it is rock hard and won't move.

Good rule of thumb is to apply the wax. Go have a cup of tea, then buff it off.

Biggest mistake when waxing is to apply too much. Less is always best.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :)

silentC
16th March 2006, 08:34 AM
And give it 3 coats, it will be magnificent!

RufflyRustic
16th March 2006, 09:40 AM
Neil's advice is the best! Easier to read and understand and thank goodness, just as easy to do.

Onya Neil!!

Go for it Joseph, the traditional wax on Shellac looks great and will really give your work a great finish.

Cheers
Wendy

outback
16th March 2006, 11:29 AM
Heaps of elbow grease brings up Neil's wax a treat. Looks bloody magnificent.

joseph84
16th March 2006, 09:33 PM
thanks again for the help guys, il post some pics when the project is done :)