PDA

View Full Version : who uses hard shellac ...

la Huerta
12th March 2006, 03:47 PM
afternoon guys...:)

who here has done a dining table with hard shellac in the past, as i'm looking to find out the long term results of the durability of hard shellac, a table that gets used everyday with spillages, hot /cold food drinks, etc...and how has it coped compared to something else like lacquer or poly...

la H

ozwinner
12th March 2006, 03:55 PM
I have used it but on an auto trolley ( why do they call them auto trolleys, you have to push them?)

Anyway I sprayed it on, came up beautiful.
As for endurance I dont know, the trolley is for display only.

Al :)

Auld Bassoon
12th March 2006, 05:28 PM
I've brushed it onto several articles that get regular wear, and it's stood the test of time over a couple of years. My guess is that it's as good as Poly for most uses. Looks a lot nicer too.

la Huerta
12th March 2006, 06:26 PM
yeh i'v been experimenting with poly and i just can't handle that plastic look, a few coats of shellac and some wax is so nice and still feels woody, as long as the hard shellac can handle some hot plates and a cup of coffee or shot of whisky then it'll be the way i'll go...

ozwinner
12th March 2006, 06:32 PM
as long as the hard shellac can handle some hot plates and a cup of coffee or shot of whisky then it'll be the way i'll go...

Well thats what the boss reckons.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm

Have a look.

Al :)

RufflyRustic
12th March 2006, 07:54 PM
I just splurged on some Ubeaut Hard Shellac, so will have to get back to you. However, if it's like any of the other Ubeaut products I've used, it will be great.

cheers
RufflyRustic

la Huerta
13th March 2006, 12:19 AM
can't wait to here the results mate...

la H

RufflyRustic
14th March 2006, 01:24 PM
I'm reviving my Squiggles table and want to finish it in Hard Shellac. I've re-read the bible of finishing, searched the forum, checked the ubeaut site and I would appreciate checking my conclusions with you.

Prepare the timber surfaces - no probs there
Use UB's sanding sealer
Apply a coat of UB's white shellac - this is where I get into trouble. I specifically don't what to keep the wet colour, I want the hard shellac colour this time, so is it ok for me to simply use the hard shellac for all coats?

Now, I'm going to apply the hard shellac as per the bible - no probs so far.
After the hard shellac is done and hardened, I suppose using EEE wax on top isn't the final finish to use??:confused: Is Traditional wax the item to use here with the swansdown mop?

Thanks
Wendy
_______
(got a couple of days of work - sawdust time = recovery time)

Iain
14th March 2006, 02:49 PM
I have used a lot of Hard shellac, I dilute heavily and brush on, heavy dilution means no brush marks but several coats.
EEE paste, wipe on rub in and buff off followed by the same with traditional wax.
I do it all by hand, it is a bit of effort but not that hard, easier than polishing the car.
I have also used Hard Shellac on the floor, about six months now and so far is standing up to daily abuse and dog claws OK.

RufflyRustic
14th March 2006, 03:26 PM
Sweet!!!! Thanks Iain!!!

still handsanding at present, but it's relaxing and wonderful to see the sanding marks disappear with each grade of paper and the wonderful grain it is revealing.

La Hureta! Love you signature - very apt

cheers
Wendy

Iain
14th March 2006, 03:33 PM
still handsanding at present, but it's relaxing
No it's not, it's hard work and tedious, thats why I bought the Rotex:p
To each their own, I actually know someone who enjoys mowing the lawn with a push along mower, fool.

RufflyRustic
14th March 2006, 07:00 PM
You have a point Iain. The hand movement, when in time with some good music is soothing and relaxing and just what I need. I still hate sanding, but suppose I am getting better at it so it's not as bad as it used to be. Besides, there's nothing like working out frustrations with some 80 grit and iron bark, just not 80 on camphor laurel :rolleyes:

Anyway, got the first coat of Hard Shellac on some the camphor laurel, except the top. It looks magnificent! Exactly the colour I wanted as well as popping the grain nicely.

Whoo Hoo!!!!

Cheers
Wendy