PDA

View Full Version : Simulating Gold Fleck in grain

Clinton1
9th March 2006, 12:47 PM
I have some timber stock that I think I'm going to have to fake.

It is Qld Walnut and it can have a gold fleck within the grain. Not all of it has it and as its pretty expensive I think I'm going to have to take the veneer option.
Either solid or venner, it seems that the stuff with the fleck in the grain is so rare that I'm not going to be able to have too much choice in picking though stock.
For those veneer leaves that do not have the fleck effect I'm going to have to try to get that gold fleck into it as part of the finish or pre-finish treatment.

I think this is pretty left field, but has anyone had to take this route?
If so I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Also if anyone is into home making pen blanks and can tell me the product that is used to simulate metallic flecks in the materials, I'd appreciate it. Maybe I can use it here?

dai sensei
9th March 2006, 09:10 PM
I use gold (and many other colours) sparkles from the $2 shop to cast pens. Not sure how it would match your wood though, may look a bit fake. You could always use some brass filings or somethong like that, not sure how gold your real flecks are.

Good luck.

Bodgy
9th March 2006, 09:33 PM
Clint, dont know if this will help, but the Idiot Child brought back a T shirt from Germany, which HI proceeded to wash, in the normal fashion. This, thanks Samsung, removed all the artistic gold paintwork.

Idiot child was bereft.

Pater to the rescue, the glue was still apparent and I took a tiny pot of gold touch-up paint that I had for re-touching the taps etc that the cleaner had scrubbed bare.

This worked a dream, in fact IC preferred my artwork to the manufacturers - this would be the first accolade I've gained for anything with the 'art' word involved.

I noticed that the paint did have flecks of 'gold' metal in it.

Might be worth a try? Rough sand then paint, then plane (if yours are good enough - dig, dig) there should be flecks of 'gold' left.

God luck

Clinton1
9th March 2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks Dai Sensei

Bodgy - sheesh a bloke makes a comment about steering clear of Stanley's and gets a ribbing.
I don't know about you old matey, but my planes tend not to leave bits of paint behind when I use them. Perhaps you could try sharpening yours?;)

Maybe an autopaint shop hey? Maybe just a bad idea in the first place.

Bodgy
9th March 2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks Dai Sensei

Bodgy - sheesh a bloke makes a comment about steering clear of Stanley's and gets a ribbing.
I don't know about you old matey, but my planes tend not to leave bits of paint behind when I use them. Perhaps you could try sharpening yours?;)

Maybe an autopaint shop hey? Maybe just a bad idea in the first place.

Clint, rough sand with #60 grit. Paint with thinned gold paint, let dry then get one of your super sharp and lapped planes, set it to the finest (which should be around 0.0004658239mm) and go for it.

Seriously, one stroke should leave gold flecks in the grain.

Clinton1
9th March 2006, 10:32 PM
I'll give it a try, thanks.
See, I accuse you of trying to play with my mind and you were being serious :rolleyes:

Bodgy
9th March 2006, 10:41 PM
Don't want to play with your mind, just your #78's