PDA

View Full Version : Sanding supply blues

Bodgy
7th March 2006, 09:41 PM
I am becoming heatily sick of paying an arm and a leg for ROS and Mouse sanding supplies.

Does anyone know where you can buy sheets or rolls of the felt backed paper suitable for the 'hook and loop' type face plates?

As I try to sand out doors, the holes are not an issue.

Additionally, the retailers never seem to have the grit size I'm after.

I think that cutting out one's own sheets has to be a better option.

Sir Stinkalot
7th March 2006, 09:56 PM
What size ROS sheets are you after?

Others have suggested a trip to see you local panel beater as they often buy them cheaply and will sell on.

Otherwise there is mail order ..... there should be a few suppliers mentioned on this forum somewhere. I think it was something along the lines of Australian Abrasives ..... it should be listed in the yellow pages. These places sell a much higher grit which is more useful for finishing.

Rusty
7th March 2006, 10:04 PM
I used GTR Abrasives in Dandenong for the first time recently. Good service and excellent quality. Price beats the absolute crap out of hardware stores and they do mail order. 9794 6187.

Regards,
Rusty.

scooter
7th March 2006, 10:09 PM
Bodgy, despite sanding outdoors, using a vacuum connected to your sander (preferably through a small cyclone, Triton dust bucket, or similar) makes the sandpaper last longer as well as clog less.

Cheers...............Sean

Lignum
7th March 2006, 10:16 PM
For those in Melbourne i recomend Magnetic Abrasives in Carnegie. A huge range and great prices that make a mockery of places like bunnings etc:)

http://www.magneticabrasives.com.au/contact.html

Rusty
7th March 2006, 10:21 PM
Carnegie? Shoot! Must check 'em out, good one.

Rusty.

Bodgy
7th March 2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys, I'll follow up the contacts.

FYI, I have a 125mm ROS and a standard mouse thingo.

Re the dust extraction, yes you are correct, however every few minutes I hit the sanding block (some sort of rubber that unclogs the grit, incidentally I bought a monster from McJings at 1/2 the price of Bunnies, yet I'm told an old thong does the same job!) These things bring the paper up like new! Works on all mechanical sanders inc the belt sander, bench linisher and oscillating, up and down, spinny gadget.

What roots me tho, is sanding after the first, prophylatic coat of (Sponsor's) Shellac. This clags the paper big time. Have to bin it.

scooter
7th March 2006, 11:07 PM
Bodg, might be telling you to suck eggs but better than left unsaid - use "no clog"-type sandpaper, usually white in colour, for sanding paint, shellac, or other finishes, it has a stearate (usually talc I think) coating on the surface of the paper to resist the clogging you've been copping.

Obviously, ensure the first coat has dried hard too ;) :D

Other uncoated abrasive sandpaper types, such as garnet or aluminium oxide, are primarily for sanding bare timber.

Cheers................Sean

Bodgy
7th March 2006, 11:10 PM
Scooter, I'm sucking eggs. Never knew that sort ofnsandpaper was available. Thank you.

I'm a bit cynical and whenever I read the blurb on the packet, I automatically disregard it as marketing lies.

Bodgy
7th March 2006, 11:16 PM
I bought a monster from McJings at 1/2 the price of Bunnies, yet I'm told an old thong does the same job!) .

Just re-read this.

Thong is the thing one wears on ones feet, when one can't afford shoes.

Just thought I should clarify this before someone tries to clean their sander on the wife's (no, probably the Mistress's) underwear.

RETIRED
7th March 2006, 11:35 PM
I used GTR Abrasives in Dandenong for the first time recently. Good service and excellent quality. Price beats the absolute crap out of hardware stores and they do mail order. 9794 6187.

Regards,
Rusty.I have used this company for years. Will advise what paper you need for which job if asked.

chrisb691
8th March 2006, 09:43 AM
Just thought I should clarify this before someone tries to clean their sander on the wife's (no, probably the Mistress's) underwear.

Aah!! But the pheronomes released bring such a pleasant feeling of well being to the task of sanding.:D

AlexS
8th March 2006, 01:25 PM
Try Abrasive Products, 10 Bentley St. Wetherill Park. Ph 02 9756 2844. may be cheaper if you offer cash.:D

Slavo
8th March 2006, 01:39 PM
or you could try Abraquip, Bearing Road, Seven Hills 02 9674 8006. I haven't used them but they are meant to have a heap of abrasives.

pianoman
8th March 2006, 01:45 PM
Try Workmate Abrasives 02 9666 8555. Good range of products and prices however min. order is $100.00 and you may need an ABN as they are a trade supplier.

Auld Bassoon
8th March 2006, 07:08 PM
For those in Melbourne i recomend Magnetic Abrasives in Carnegie. A huge range and great prices that make a mockery of places like bunnings etc:)

http://www.magneticabrasives.com.au/contact.html

Thanks for that mate! :) logged and on the "to visit" list

Auld Bassoon
8th March 2006, 07:11 PM
Just re-read this.

Thong is the thing one wears on ones feet, when one can't afford shoes.

May one enquire quite what is wrong with using one's mistress' underwear to clean one's sander? I certainly helps with the undergarment removal time....

Bodgy
8th March 2006, 07:19 PM
May one enquire quite what is wrong with using one's mistress' underwear to clean one's sander? I certainly helps with the undergarment removal time....
Obviously it's embarassing. People in adjoining rooms would, quite naturally, assume that you had the biggest and noisiest Steely Dan in town.