PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a Redgum Dining Table

Sumeer
5th March 2006, 09:17 PM
Hi,

I am relatively new to woodworking, and have just finished constructing a dining table consisting of a redgum top and black butt legs and frame. I want to use a clear filler to preserve the natural characterisitcs of the wood can anyone make any suggestions?

Also I need advice on types and methods for finishing the table. I would like to have a clear finish, which is able to withstand heat and water. Also how would I go about getting a really smooth finish on the table top? In the past when I have used polyeurethane finishes I haven't been able to get the mirror finish that I had desired.

Sorry for the long question.

regards

Sumeer

Ingin
6th March 2006, 04:17 PM
there are lots of posts re your questions, try trolling through them, they often give very good alternatives. Table tops are a hazzard (water spills and heat marks) when oil or wax is used, Estapol is usually the only way to go unless you really make sure your eating partners are well disciplined!!! if so I would try hard burnishing oil and a good strong arm.

Auld Bassoon
6th March 2006, 08:12 PM
May I suggest that you lay your hands on a copy of Neil's book on finishing? See http://www.ubeaut.com.au/book.html