PDA

View Full Version : Paint Surface Paid Advice

siddy
27th February 2006, 07:46 PM
Hello,

I bought a old house around blackburn area in melbourne. removed all the wall paper but am at cross roads now in terms of painting. i found that here and there surface is different to other places and i dont understand what was used there. I am wondering whether there are any places around that have personnel who come down and just advice on what to do since i want to do the work myself. please let me know if there are any places like that. its a weather board house by the way.

one of my questions is
- whether i can get these thin plaster boards and then stick em eveyrwhere inside the house and then paint over it?

thanks
sidd

ozwinner
27th February 2006, 07:54 PM
Hello,

I bought a old house around blackburn area in melbourne. removed all the wall paper but am at cross roads now in terms of painting. i found that here and there surface is different to other places and i dont understand what was used there. I am wondering whether there are any places around that have personnel who come down and just advice on what to do since i want to do the work myself. please let me know if there are any places like that. its a weather board house by the way.

one of my questions is
- whether i can get these thin plaster boards and then stick em eveyrwhere inside the house and then paint over it?

thanks
sidd

Welcome.

No need for me to come around I can do it from here, I only charge $ 500 per consultation.

Thin plaster board?
No!

Next question?

Youre already up to $1000.

Al :)

jimc
28th February 2006, 10:23 AM
Easiest way is to patch the dodgey bits and blend them into the main wall....then paint it a light flat colour. This will hide almost anything that is obvious.

We have removed metres of bloody wall paper and discovered all sorts of bodgey stuff....I just bought a 20kg tub of plastering skim coat pre mix and plastering trowel to cover up problem areas. Two years later no sign of cracking or anything.

Tools
28th February 2006, 04:51 PM
Thin plaster board?
No!

Thin plaster board? Yes! It does exist but it is not the solution to your problem.There is a sheet that is 6mm thick that is used for bending on tight curves.Jim has the right solution to your problem.

Tools

katydid
4th March 2006, 07:29 PM
You have some great resources in Blackburn (my friends live there and are great DIY'ers). Need any more info please let me (an ex-Blackburn North resident) know.

siddy
21st March 2006, 11:35 AM
so i found that chemical paint strippers are a treat and easy to work with.
how about i get the chemical paint stripeers and use them

then use one of the undercoats which are oil based . let them dry for two days

and then paint over it.

thanks
sidd--

lnt9000
21st March 2006, 10:50 PM
so i found that chemical paint strippers are a treat and easy to work with.
how about i get the chemical paint stripeers and use them

then use one of the undercoats which are oil based . let them dry for two days

and then paint over it.

thanks
sidd--
Very messy, and you will need a lot of the stuff to do the whole house ,as well as a lot of patience, how about using a coarse grade sand paper followed by a medium grain and then apply a texture paint IE:thick and gunky) which should cover the Imperfections, or just paint straight over what you have, some people go to extreme measures to achieve irregular finishes.

siddy
22nd March 2006, 05:21 PM
well there are more than 4 layers and when the wall paper was removed theya ll peeled and trust me it doesnt look good.
the walls all look bodgey and that
so i decided to go the paint remover way.
thought it was much easier than the sand paper way?
but as i said am a newbie and dunno jack abt DIY
so enlighten me

cheers
sidd

Auld Bassoon
22nd March 2006, 06:27 PM
some people go to extreme measures to achieve irregular finishes.

Methinks that that comment applies to many of us here with our WW :p :D :D :D

siddy
28th March 2006, 11:40 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for all the constant advice. to add to my list of woes, i think i have lead inside the house.

used one of the bunnings test kits and when i tested it, i didnt see the color change immediately. but went back a day ago and i found where ever it tested, the color is pretty blood red.

So i think dry sanding is out of the window.... :(

what else can be done and how do i do it. Whoever is gonna respond please put it in laymans terms because i have no idea about renovation :( . The better you explain , the better chance of that helping me fix my place.

cheers
sidd--