PDA

View Full Version : What finish to use on outdoor teak furniture?

jzacc
21st February 2006, 12:52 AM
I just bought 2 outdoor teak rocking chairs (each unassembled in 4 pieces). What finish should I use to protect the wood ? How many coats of finish should I put on them ? What grit # sandpaper do I use? Do I use the same # grit sandpaper through all the coats ?
I was planning on doing it this winter in my basement while they are unassembled.
Do you have any other suggestions ?
Thanks for your help,
Joe
[email protected]

Tex B
21st February 2006, 07:11 PM
I'd use a Danish oil, or even a decking oil. Just follow the directions. With oil, you'll need to put another layer on once a year or so, but the teak should come up very nice.

Tex

Bluegum
21st February 2006, 08:59 PM
Yep Danish oil is the fo for teak. We have a 14 seater teak table and chairs. A light sand and application of oil and it comes up up a treat, which is needed with it being exposed to the elements.

Bodgy
21st February 2006, 09:23 PM
Beg to differ, again.

Mix half turps and half Linseed oil. Works wonders for all timber outdoor furniture, used it for years, no probs.

You get to smile when you see people walking out of Homebase with $12 a litre furniture oil.

BobL
21st February 2006, 09:48 PM
Beg to differ, again.

Mix half turps and half Linseed oil. Works wonders for all timber outdoor furniture, used it for years, no probs.

I'd really like to know what the trick is with the turps/linseed combination. I've tried it several times and always ended up with a thin but sticky residue that collects dirt and dust and ends up marking the bosses wife's white designer trousers. I've tried several combinations eg less turps, wiping off excess after application, to no avail. Any clues to sorting this would be much aprpeciated.

Bodgy
21st February 2006, 09:52 PM
I'd really like to know what the trick is with the turps/linseed combination. I've tried it several times and always ended up with a thin but sticky residue that collects dirt and dust and ends up marking the bosses wife's white designer trousers. I've tried several combinations eg less turps, wiping off excess after application, to no avail. Any clues to sorting this would be much aprpeciated.

If the timber is very dense, ie teak, or else very weathered it will be somewhat impervious. Vary the ratio of turps/ oil with more turps for the impermiable timbers. If you're real keen, then add a second coat that is more oil than turps next day.

You should treat the furniture well before intended use, days really. If there still remains a residue, wipe off with pure turps.

I have recently renovated some garden benches, which are at the entrance to our house, under the eaves. I ran out of Organoil so used this mixture on very hard, raped Indonesian rainforest timber. I went thru the above then waxed with sponsors product - they look mickey mouse.

Who wears a white dress to a barbie anyway?

BobL
21st February 2006, 10:22 PM
SNIP
You should treat the furniture well before intended use, days really. If there still remains a residue, wipe off with pure turps.

Thanks, I didn't think of that.

Who wears a white dress to a barbie anyway?

The bosses wife, twice, but not since then.

BobL
21st February 2006, 10:23 PM
Hey Bodgy, what's the text say on your picture?

Bodgy
22nd February 2006, 08:54 AM
Hey Bodgy, what's the text say on your picture?

Its the 'Rufus' stone which marks the spot where William II got his. It basically says that Sir Billy Tyrell shot at a stag whilst hunting with William II (nicknamed Rufus cause of his hair - son of The Conqueror), the arrow hit this oak tree, bounced off and squarely swatted Rufus, who soon thereafter karked it.

Some controversy about whether it was an accident or not, as Tyrell was related to Rufus's successor and Rufus was a God awful Monarch. Succeeded by Hank I (Norman, not Plantaginet such as Hank Sank not Stuart as was Hank VIII of wife chopping fame.)

Hank I was also a God awful Monarch and died without an accepted heir (his son drowned on the famous White Ship disaster - whole lot, nobles, cooks and crew were as farts and managed to hit a rock) hence the country went into civil war Maud versus Stephen.

Sorry you asked?

BobL
22nd February 2006, 09:29 AM
Its the 'Rufus' stone which

SNIP

Sorry you asked?

No. But I do have another question. How is all this connected to you? History interests? Family Tree? or you just liked the photo?

Bodgy
22nd February 2006, 11:50 AM
I studied British History (still so doing, I guess) and still find it enthralling, so much of the world has been shaped by these events.

I was in the UK last year and have rellies in Basingstoke, which is near the New Forest where Rufus copped it. Went for a UK version of bush walk with bro and checked out the monument, between pubs that was.

More Trivia. It is called the New Forest cause William I got the szits with all the locals hunting and eating the game, which he wanted to hunt himself. Consequently he forcibly relocated all the peasants, burnt their villages, waited a few years and got his hunting preserve. The enormity is astounding, the NF is a huge forest - for the UK.

Funny man, the Conqueror. In all his reign he was known as a brutal dictator, but incredibly for the time, did not execute anyone, despite numerous plots and wars back in France. Bit of a paradox.

Here endeth the l................