PDA

View Full Version : Finishes for childrens toys

dmartin
13th February 2006, 04:41 PM
What is the best paint to use for finishing young childrens toys. It also needs to be hardy as it will be going on cars, trucks and pull along toys.

ozwinner
13th February 2006, 05:57 PM
The best paint is full leaded paint.
Lasts a life time.

Al :)

Tex B
14th February 2006, 09:00 AM
I'd use an acrylic. If it's going on raw wood, I found it best to use an undercoat. From memory there's a primer/sealer combination at Bunnings that works pretty well, and you only need one or maybe two top coats after that.

the kids will bang it up pretty good no matter what's on it, and that gives it character.

Tex

rick_rine
14th February 2006, 10:12 PM
The best paint is full leaded paint.
Lasts a life time.

Al :)

It is posts like this that make me wonder what message you all are sending to other members , guys or girls who just want some sensible advice . Often members are given a very sillly response and for me personally ( and I speak from experience as I got exactly the same reply from Al about exactly the same question when I was a Newbie ) it is not at all helpful nor does it encourage new members to continue to use the forum .
People who ask these questions are often not as skilled as all of you others .
Just do as asked and share your knowledge , isn't that what this forum is about ? Try to give newbies the respect they might deserve .

Oh , and if I was dmartin I'd do a search ;)

ozwinner
15th February 2006, 07:38 AM
So my sense of humour hasnt changed?? :D
Yeah I know Im sick, but at least I know it.

And as all you learned people know, you cant buy leaded paint anymore.:eek:

Al :p

David L
15th February 2006, 04:58 PM
I use Cabbots Crystal Clear (water based ) as an undercoat as it dries quickly with no brush marks and is easy to use, light sand and coat with acrylic.
Resene produce test pots and have strong bright colours http://www.resene.com.au/

redwood
15th February 2006, 05:06 PM
Yeah I know Im sick, but at least I know it.

Al :p

All started back when you were a little tacker in your asbestos lined and multi colored lead painted cot, suckin on a home made treated pine dummy soaked in brandy to keep yu quiet:cool:

dan_tom
15th February 2006, 06:43 PM
This might be a roundabout way to find out.... but child care centres need to be accredited (including all of the toys and wooden puzzles and things they have in them). Maybe find out what the Australian standard or Dept (state govt) guideline is meant to be - maybe the manufacturers of the wooden toys the child care centres buy might let you know what they use. Just a thought.

Cheers
Dan