PDA

View Full Version : metabo paint remover

julianx
6th February 2006, 05:22 PM
hi everyone

I have a lot of paint to remove from some vj walls and loath sanding, so I'm considering buying a metabo paint remover No where in brisbane keeps them in stock so I can't have a look at one and I don't wish to pay $500 for something before seeing it first.

If anyone has one could they please describe how they operate and if they are any good A picture of the underside of the machine would be great (the pic on the metabo site is a top view and doesn't show how it works.

Finally are they like a planer and if so how do they handle nail heads and other extraneous objects.

ozwinner
6th February 2006, 05:37 PM
Maybe its a heating element and a scraper.

Al :)

julianx
6th February 2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe its a heating element and a scraper.

I don't think this is the case

I rang metabo and the woman there didn't metion a heating element she said it has 4 blades but she couldn't tell me if they spin seperatly or on a drum like a planer, couldn't tell me how it worked at all really, was going to email me a picture but it never arrived.

ozwinner
6th February 2006, 05:54 PM
Maybe the 4 blades are the scraper?
I have an old heater scraper at work, thats what made me think of it.

markharrison
6th February 2006, 06:49 PM
I will send you a PM in a moment. I have one for sale and as luck would have it for you, I am moving to Brisbane in a couple of weeks so I can even deliver it.

The thing is based on an angle grinder so the head rotates perpindicular to the base/sole of the tool. It gives a kind of planed finish and would not replace completely the need to sand afterwards. However, you will get rid of the bulk of the excess paint quite quickly.

Like using a hand plane, the trick is to take very thin slices at a time.
However, it is easy to keep just going back over the board until you get off the bulk of the paint at which point you switch to the ROS.

While you can use it without a dust collector, I would recommend that you do get one if you don't already have one. It would be almost required for the ROS anyway.