PDA

View Full Version : Mortar Bed in new bathroom

coongoola
31st January 2006, 07:48 PM
Hi all,

I'm renovating the bathroom and the new shower recess will be a "walk in" shower, ie no hob or anything. It will measure about 1500mmx1200mm.

What do I use for the bed to get the correct fall to the grate. Sand & Cement & additive or what ? I'll be starting off with a bare concrete floor & floor tiles will be 100mm square.

Regards

Pat

ozwinner
31st January 2006, 08:07 PM
Hi.
Is the concrete slab already poured?

Al :)

magnet 12
31st January 2006, 08:23 PM
I normally roughen up or etch existing surface and paint with Bondcrete or similar solution. Then use sand/cement with a Bondcrete type additive. Generally I wouldn't take it down to much less thickness than 10mm, although there are products available which allow a thinner bed. Don't forget to set in your angles if you are using that method for your shower screen.

coongoola
31st January 2006, 08:42 PM
Hi.
Is the concrete slab already poured?

Al :)

Hi Ozwinner,

There is an exisiting slab and I'm extending the bathroom by about 2500mm which will house the new shower recess, so new drainage points will be installed prior to slab.

Pat

coongoola
31st January 2006, 08:46 PM
Don't forget to set in your angles if you are using that method for your shower screen.

Thanks Magnet,

Aluminium angles as in the 20mm type where you see a slight 1/8" strip ?
If thats whats you mean I'll be installing them to achieve a smooth as possible entry to the shower. Similar I guess to a disabled shower.

Pat

ozwinner
31st January 2006, 08:48 PM
Hi Ozwinner,

There is an exisiting slab and I'm extending the bathroom by about 2500mm which will house the new shower recess, so new drainage points will be installed prior to slab.

Pat

:) Winner :)

So, form the shower base into the new slab.
Then all you have to do is tile it.

Al :cool:

magnet 12
1st February 2006, 07:01 PM
Yes that's it, and I also use the angle, as a guide for shower screen sides.

mic-d
2nd February 2006, 09:28 AM
Here's an explanation I did earlier:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15812&highlight=shower
Also ontariotile.com is a good source of info.

Cheers
Michael