PDA

View Full Version : crumbling bricks

mic-d
31st January 2006, 04:45 PM
Geez you go away for a while and the whole place changes!. This one may be for Ozwinner. Looked at a client's house today, they have a problem with crumbling clay bricks in a small brick facade around their house. Seems to only be near the vents. There is no sign of efflorescence, just really crumbly bricks. What's the cause, what to do?

Cheers
Michael

RufflyRustic
31st January 2006, 04:57 PM
Hi Mic-D

Welcome back - you have been missed:)
Crumbly brick - age of the bricks perhaps???

cheers
Wendy

ozwinner
31st January 2006, 06:24 PM
Hi
It sounds like damp, the efflorescence is caused by salt, if the ground isnt salty you wont see it.

How old are the bricks?

Al :)

mic-d
2nd February 2006, 09:20 AM
Ozwinner, the bricks are about 50 years old I'd say. They are literally crumbling like sawdust.

Hi Ruffly, have been flatout installing a new kitchen at home + other things have conspired to keep me away, but I should be around a bit more now.

CHeers
Michael

RufflyRustic
2nd February 2006, 09:36 AM
Hi Mic-d
New Kitchen aye - where's the photos ??:D :D :D

cheers
Wendy

bitingmidge
2nd February 2006, 10:40 AM
Oz is spot on (as he should be!).

The bricks were no doubt a bit under- cooked, when they get damp, my guess is that because they are near the vents, they tend to dry sooner than the others, then draw more moisture to themselves osmotically, and probably more dissolved salts.

The only thing to do to arrest the decay is to remove the moisture.

That can be done by introducing a damp-proof course if the water is coming from the ground, or by sealing the bricks, or both.

Cheers,

P (Just guessing mind....)
;)