PDA

View Full Version : need new power point, is this main board up to it??

wozzzzza
27th April 2024, 03:42 PM
cant get an answer from anyone at the moment, my electrician is out of order for a few month, cant get anyone else to look at it for 2 weeks, whats the story here?
i want to add a 20 amp power point 10m away from this switchboard for a clothes dryer. is the switch board ok for this??
the sub board you can see at the top is for solar from what i have been told.
need to add a 40A circuit breaker somewhere whether another sub board or in this board. can it be done without any issues or does the entire board need upgrading somehow for some reason??
this is just the main board, it branches out to 6 sub boards filled with RCD's that goto each unit.

the nearest board is the other side of the block, two free spaces but running a cable there is a nightmare, be around 25m and what would voltage drop be?. upgrading the original cable even more so nightmare, probably impossible.

droog
27th April 2024, 05:37 PM
Not sure you are going to get a yes / no answer from anyone on the forum.

I would suspect any elechicken would need to do a demand calculation on load to determine if additional loads could be added, then there is the issue of that protective insulation around that 3phase breaker at the top.

Another factor may be the mounting board in the fuse box, some of the older ones contain asbestos.

wozzzzza
27th April 2024, 05:56 PM
just wondering, the wait is killing me for an electrician to come out to look and quote. thought someone may put me out of my misery saying expect a huge bill, its not as simple as it looks answer and it needs upgrading.

Uncle Bob
27th April 2024, 07:38 PM
If a new circuit needs to be run to the switchboard, then that all needs to go and a switchboard and breakers that meets code needs to be installed. Sorry to say Wozz.

wozzzzza
27th April 2024, 10:41 PM
If a new circuit needs to be run to the switchboard, then that all needs to go and a switchboard and breakers that meets code needs to be installed. Sorry to say Wozz.
thought that maybe the case, $10k for a 3 phase board like that?

Uncle Bob
28th April 2024, 08:09 PM
Shouldn't be that much. Hopefully all the cabling is TPS and in good shape.

wozzzzza
28th April 2024, 08:49 PM
Shouldn't be that much. Hopefully all the cabling is TPS and in good shape.
forgot about that, nightmares are starting now. seen some home renovations shows with buildings around the age of mine here where it all has to be rewired due to old cabling.
will see when this electrician eventually comes.

wozzzzza
3rd May 2024, 08:46 AM
electrician came around, spent half hour looking around the place and said this board is asbestos, old and we need to put in a sub board just outside of it and fix up that dodgey breaker the solar people put in.
awaiting quote.

ErrolFlynn
3rd May 2024, 11:19 AM
Asbestos - so what? Don't touch it and it won't bother anyone.
Old - so what? Lots of things are old and they work like they were designed.

wozzzzza
4th May 2024, 10:38 AM
Asbestos - so what? Don't touch it and it won't bother anyone.
Old - so what? Lots of things are old and they work like they were designed.
just his comments, thats why he is going to put a sub board on the outside of it so doesnt have to touch it.

wozzzzza
11th May 2024, 09:45 PM
$2200 quote, guess have no choice but to get it done.