PDA

View Full Version : New Timber windows and doors

jimc
20th January 2006, 12:52 PM
I need to get some new windows and doors made for the renovations.

They include two panel bi-fold door with sashless units fitted to both doors, sliding windows, fixed windows and external door.

My question...

Should I have these built with western red cedar or vic ash.

What will last the longest, assuming timber will be painted on exterior surfaces.

silentC
20th January 2006, 01:11 PM
I reckon part of the charm of WRC is the clear finished look. If you are going to paint them, the Vic ash might be your best bet. Although WRC is one of the few woods that won't rot. Or so I've been told.

seriph1
21st January 2006, 09:03 PM
I imagine making them would be far more exxie than getting off-the-shelf units....but am very good at being wrong - are they special sizes or something?

elphingirl
22nd January 2006, 10:37 PM
We got a couple of WRC bifolds made for our new house from Stegbar. They are all customised really - just make them to your measurements, and which direction you wish them to bifold in.

Not only is WRC rot resistant, it is much lighter than hardwood, and bifolds get pretty heavy.

The doors came fully installed, we just had to stand them up in the opening and hit a few nails in.

I have a picture if you'd like one, just let me know.

Cheers, Justine

vGolfer
27th January 2006, 09:28 AM
We got a couple of WRC bifolds made for our new house from Stegbar. They are all customised really - just make them to your measurements, and which direction you wish them to bifold in.

Not only is WRC rot resistant, it is much lighter than hardwood, and bifolds get pretty heavy.

The doors came fully installed, we just had to stand them up in the opening and hit a few nails in.

Cheers, Justine

Hi Justine, I'd be interested. COuld you give us a ballpark idea what you paid for them?

Bin J
27th January 2006, 09:50 AM
The Stegbar website has a 'price range' guide. www.stegbar.com.au (http://www.stegbar.com.au)

We are getting (still haven't arrived :mad: !):
2 x approx 2500mm [three panel] WRC bifolds, with double glazing (since we live in a cold area)

They are not from Stegbar, but I think they are about $2500 - $3000 each (so approx $6000 for the two). Eek! such a lot of money! They are absolutely beautiful though and include the drop bolt fittings for security.

I'd love to see yours too!