PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Plaster Advice

jimc
17th January 2006, 01:56 PM
I have a dilemma for a new ceiling in a kitchen/laundry/bathroom.

With ceiling joists at 450 centres, should I install 10mm superceil or aquacheck, taking into account possible moistuer ingress from the roof space (no sarking under tiles) and steam from cooking/dryers.

silentC
17th January 2006, 02:28 PM
I prefer to use Villaboard in wet areas. I don't think Aquacheck is that great a product in places where it's likely to get wet - it has to be really well sealed.

Pulse
17th January 2006, 06:44 PM
Straight forward 10mm plasterboard will be fine, supaceil or equivalent spans 600mm. I really can't see water damaging it if it is properly painted.
Mind you the aquacheck probably costs only a few dollars more.

Cheers
Pulse

johnc
17th January 2006, 10:31 PM
Unless you intend throwing water at the ceilings 10mm ordinary sheet will be fine. It's the walls you should be worried about. If you put insulation batts in the ceiling that will take care of your worries, the tiles are more likely to allow water vapour to vent away than the opposite.

John.

Ian007
17th January 2006, 11:20 PM
I have a dilemma for a new ceiling in a kitchen/laundry/bathroom.

With ceiling joists at 450 centres, should I install 10mm superceil or aquacheck, taking into account possible moistuer ingress from the roof space (no sarking under tiles) and steam from cooking/dryers.

As most of the fellers have said normal gyprock would be fine and as you have 450 centres even better, superceil or its equal only has some fibreglass added to it to help with sag in the sheets. Put it up correctly and you will not have any problems with the normal stuff.

having no sarking is normally not a problem as the moisture goes as it lets the roof space breath more.

Cheers Ian